Showing 3537 resultsName
- IE IJA J/563
- 27 December 1840-24 September 1905
Born: 27 December 1840, Finuge, Listowel, County Kerry
Entered: 24 July 1861, Lyon, France - Lugdunensis Province (LUGD)
Professed: 15 August 1882
Died: 24 September 1905, Grand Coteau, Louisiana, USA - Neo-Aurelianensis Province (NOR)
Came to Clongowes 1879-1884
- 10 August 1860-2 September 1941
Born: 10 August 1860, Finuge, Kerry
Died: 2 September 1941, St. Beuno’s, Wales
- Corporate body
Seamus Cashman established Wolfhound Press Ltd in 1974 as a literary and cultural publishing house.
First apostolic prefect of Lusaka, Northern Rhodesia,1946-1950.
- 09 April 1932-06 June 1998
Born 09 April 1932, Shanghai, China
Entered 30 April 1955, Manila, Philippines (Neo-Ebiracensis Province for HIB)
Ordained 15 June 1967
Professed 02 February 1973
Died 06 June 1998, Murray-Weigel Hall, New York, NY, USA - Sinensis Province (CHN)
Transcribed HIB to HK : 03 December 1966
by 1962 at St Gabriel’s Birmingham (ANG) studying
by 1966 at Woodstock MD, USA (MAR) studying
- IE IJA J/695
- 26 September 1913-26 March 2000
Born: 26 September 1913, Cashel, County Tipperary
Entered: 11 September 1931, St Mary's, Emo, County Laois
Ordained: 19 May 1945, Shanghai, China
Professed: 02 February 1949
Died: 26 March 2000, Kingsmead Hall, Singapore - Indonesian Province - Malaysia (MAS)
Transcribed HIB to HK : 03/12/1966; HK to IDO (MAS) : 1991
by 1940 in Hong Kong - Regency
by 1943 at Bellarmine, Zi-ka-Wei, near Shanghai, China (FRA) studying
◆ Hong Kong Catholic Archives :
Father John Wood, S.J.
Father John Wood died in Singapore on 26 March 2000 at the age of 86.
He was born in Cashel, County Tipperary, Ireland on 26 September 1913. He did his secondary school studies in the Apostolic School of Mungret College, Limerick joined the Society of Jesus in 1931 and was assigned to Hong Kong in 1939. Father Wood was the last surviving Jesuit to have been assigned to Hong Kong before World War II.
Father Wood began his theological studies in 1942 in Zikawei, Shanghai. He was ordained on 19 May 1945 with Fathers Timothy Doody, Matthew Corbally and Joseph McAsey, all of when spent most of their working lives in Hong Kong.
After a short stay in Ireland Father Wood returned to Hong Kong 1947 to teach Philosophy in the Regional Seminary in Aberdeen, becoming Rector in 1957. When the Regional Seminary closed in 1964 he went to Malaysia and did parish work in Petaling Jaya.
In 1978 Father Wood was transferred to St. Ignatius’ Parish, Singapore and remained engaged in pastoral work there until the end of his life.
He was a gentle, unassuming man with a keen sense of humour, a good superior, zealous pastor, always ready to be of service to others. Wherever he went he made many friends and was much esteemed and loved by those who know him.
Sunday Examiner Hong Kong - 9 April 2000
◆ Biographical Notes of the Jesuits in Hong Kong 1926-2000, by Frederick Hok-ming Cheung PhD, Wonder Press Company 2013 ISBN 978 9881223814 :
Note from Tim Doody Entry
1941-1946 Due to WWII he was sent to Zikawai, Shanghai for Theology with Mattie Corbally, Joe McAsey and John Wood until 1946, and in 1945 they were Ordained by Bishop Cote SJ, a Canadian born Bishop of Suchow.
Note from Mattie Corbally Entry
Because of the war he was sent to Shanghai for Theology along with Tim Doody, Joe McAsey and John Wood.
◆ Irish Province News
Irish Province News 21st Year No 4 1946
Milltown Park :
Fr. P. Joy, Superior of the Hong Kong Mission, gave us a very inspiring lecture entitled: "The Building of a Mission,” in which he treated of the growth, progress and future prospects of our efforts in South China.
In connection with the Mission we were very glad to welcome home Frs. McAsey, Wood and Corbally, who stayed here for some time before going to tertianship.
Early education at Clongowes Wood College.
Founder of Catholic University School, Leeson Street, Dublin with St John Henry Newman
Founder of All Hallows Missionary College, Drumcondra, Dublin.
◆Royal Irish Academy : Dictionary of Irish Biography, Cambridge University Press online
by Liam Rigney
Woodlock, Bartholomew (1819–1902), catholic bishop of Ardagh and Clonmacnoise and rector of the Catholic University of Ireland, was born 30 March 1819 in Dublin, the eighth of ten children of William Paul Woodlock and his wife Mary (née Cleary), who were natives of Roscrea, Co. Tipperary. They settled in Dublin in 1798, where his father ran a successful hardware business at 13 New Row West, off Thomas Street. After some private tuition, Woodlock was educated by the Jesuit fathers at the St Francis Xavier seminary, Hardwicke Street, from January to September 1833; he then went to Clongowes Wood College, Co. Kildare, where he remained until 1836. He studied for the priesthood at the Roman seminary (which was at that time in the palace of S. Apollinare) and was ordained priest for the diocese of Dublin at the basilica of St John Lateran, Rome, on 18 December 1841. He was awarded a doctorate of divinity in April 1842.
In 1842 Woodlock and Father John Hand (qv) founded the missionary college of All Hallows, Drumcondra, Dublin, for the education of priests for the foreign and colonial English-speaking missions; Woodlock maintained a lifelong commitment to this institution. The college was opened on the feast of All Saints, 1 November 1842, with one student and small funds, in a dilapidated Georgian mansion, Drumcondra House. Within two years it had a body of students that numbered more than fifty, a deposit of £2,000 in the bank, and a community of six priests. This community included Dr David Moriarty (qv), former vice-rector of the Irish college in Paris, who was elected president of All Hallows College in succession to Hand after the latter's death from tuberculosis on 20 May 1846. On 24 June 1854 Woodlock was elected the third president of the college when Moriarty was appointed co-adjutor bishop of Kerry. Under his seven-year presidency, the number of students doubled to more than two hundred for more than fifty missions. Woodlock continued Moriarty's expansionist policies of building and fund-raising, as well as establishing in 1857 a preparatory school at Belmont House, Stillorgan, Dublin, to supply All Hallows with students. However, during Woodlock's presidency the stability of the college remained under threat because it lacked a proper relation to an external authority and had no permanent financial support.
Woodlock was made a canon of the diocese of Dublin in 1853 and a monsignor in 1855. Fluent in Italian, Latin, and French, he had many interests, especially in liturgy and religious life. He was a founder member of the Society of St Vincent de Paul in Ireland in 1844 and was spiritual director of the society's council of Ireland until 1879. He was appointed rector of the Catholic University of Ireland by the bishops on 25 April 1861; the university's college had opened in 1854 in St Stephen's Green, Dublin, with John Henry Newman (qv) as its first rector (1851–8). In his new role Woodlock struggled to assert the right of catholics in Ireland, without hindrance or obstruction, to educate their children in accordance with the principles approved by the Roman catholic church. For Woodlock, the most important of these principles were that all education should be based on religion, that catholic education should be presided over by the bishops, and that there should be perfect freedom and equality in education. By ‘freedom and equality’ he meant that catholic education ought to be totally free from any influence, interference, or control on the part of the state or of protestants, and that it ought to enjoy perfect equality, including equality in endowment, with education provided by other religious denominations.
Woodlock envisaged the Catholic University, catholic colleges including St Patrick's College, Maynooth, and the superior catholic schools being integrated into a single system of catholic education for Ireland with the university at its head. His plan to establish a system of Catholic University schools in every large town throughout Ireland never came to fruition: only three opened – in Waterford, Ennis, and Dublin – and they were short-lived. Furthermore, his scheme of affiliating existing schools and colleges to the university became ineffective by the late 1860s and irrelevant with the passing of the Intermediate Education (Ireland) Act in 1878. The zenith of Woodlock's rectorship was marked by the ceremony to lay the foundation stone of the new Catholic University buildings on the site at Clonliffe West, Drumcondra, on 20 July 1862. However, the Dublin Trunk Connection Railway Company secured part of the university's land by an act of parliament in June 1864 in order to construct a new railway line, which rendered the site useless for university purposes. Woodlock continued to acquire property in St Stephen's Green for the university and built the Aula Maxima there in 1876. His ambitious plans for expansion were restrained by financial problems. Woodlock also failed to achieve his two aims in relation to the government of the university, which he considered necessary to its progress: these were to secure from the bishops the admission of laymen onto the university's governing body and to gain the unanimous active support for the institution from the episcopate body.
By 1873 the university college in St Stephen's Green had reached its nadir. It had only a handful of students and a few professors, with limited finance and little public or episcopal support, and small hope of securing legal recognition for its degrees after the failure that year of Gladstone's university bill. However, Woodlock persevered in keeping the question of the university's future alive and secured support from the bishops for maintaining it by advocating that it was as necessary in 1873 as it had been when it was opened in 1854. The school of medicine in Cecilia Street was more successful than the university college, largely because of the high calibre of the professors and the recognition of the school by several incorporated bodies in Ireland, including the RCSI, which were empowered by charter to grant medical and surgical qualifications. The end of Woodlock's term as rector coincided with the passing of the University Education (Ireland) Act (1879), which was accepted by Woodlock as an instalment of justice and a basis for the continued struggle for university education in Ireland. He was a member of the senate of the RUI, which was established under the act, from June 1880 until 29 June 1890.
Woodlock left the rectorship when he was made bishop of Ardagh and Clonmacnoise, being consecrated by Pope Leo XIII in the Sistine Chapel in Rome on 1 June 1879. He moved to his residence at Newtownforbes, outside Longford, to begin his episcopacy, which was to last sixteen years. His period in office was remarkable for the frequency and regularity with which Woodlock visited the parishes and institutions of his diocese. He established and promoted educational and religious institutions. He completed the foundation of the Sisters of Mercy convents at Ballymahon and Mohill, enlarged the convent of the teaching order of La Sainte Union des Sacrés Coeurs at Banagher, and introduced the order into Athlone along with the Marist Brothers to provide for the intermediate education of boys and girls. He initiated restoration work at the ancient site of Clonmacnoise and spent all his private savings on the completion of St Mel's cathedral at Longford.
As a consequence of a fall in May 1894 in London, in which he broke his right arm, Woodlock was afflicted by a prolonged and serious illness. In September 1894 he petitioned the pope to accept his resignation, giving as reasons his advanced age of seventy-five and ill health. He was then named titular bishop of Trapezopolis and granted his expressed desire to retire to All Hallows College, which had been committed by the Irish bishops in October 1891 to the care of the Congregation of the Mission, the Irish Vincentians. Woodlock died 13 December 1902 at All Hallows College and his remains were buried in the grounds of St Mel's cathedral, Longford. A portrait of Woodlock survives at St Mel's College, Longford.
Dublin Diocesan Archives: Woodlock papers, Cullen papers, Murray papers, McCabe papers; UCD Archives: Catholic University of Ireland records; Irish College, Rome: Kirby papers, Cullen papers, Kelly papers; Ardagh and Clonmacnoise diocesan archives: Woodlock papers, Hoare papers; Maurice Kennedy Research Centre, UCD: James McCarthy, elevation of proposed Catholic University of Ireland building, Drumcondra, 1862; All Hallows College, Drumcondra, Dublin: presentation to Bartholomew Woodlock from the Catholic University of Ireland, June 1879; James Meenan (ed.), Centenary history of the Literary and Historical Society 1855–1955 (1955); William J. Rigney, ‘Bartholomew Woodlock and the Catholic University of Ireland’ (Ph.D. thesis, NUI (UCD), 1995); Donal McCartney, UCD. A national idea (1999)
Fr Francis Woodlock SJ was born in Monkstown, County Dublin and was schooled at Beaumont. He entered the English Province in 1889 and served as a chaplain in the British Army during the First World War.
- 01 February 1880-06 January 1949
Born: 01 February 1880, Bray, County Wicklow
Entered: 06 March 1899, Roehampton London - Angliae province (ANG)
Professed: 02 February 1917
Died: 06 January 1949, Heythrop, Oxfordshire, England - Angliae province (ANG)
by 1912 came to Milltown (HIB) studying 1911-1915
by 1916 came to Tullabeg (HIB) making Tertianship
- IE IJA J/848
- 03 October 1924-28 May 2014
Born: 03 October 1924, Armagh, County Armagh
Entered: 07 September 1942, St Mary's, Emo, County Laois
Ordained: 31 July 1956
Professed: 05 November 1977
Died: 28 May 2014, Cherryfield Lodge, Dublin
Part of the Milltown Park, Dublin community at the time of death.
by 1973 at New York NY, USA (NEB) studying
- 04 January 1673-29 October 1748
Alias de Lupis
Born 04 January 1673, Ireland
Entered 27 August 1691Bologna, Italy - Venetae Province (VEM)
Ordained c 1701, Mantua, Italy
Professed 02 February 1709
Died 29 October 1748, Bologna, Italy
1724 Went to Rome 24/03/1724
◆ Fr Francis Finegan SJ :
1693-1700 After First Vows he was sent for studies in Rheotoric and Philosophy to Parma, and then to Mantua for Theology, and Ordained c 1701. After Ordination he was not sent to teaching due to frail health,mainly his eyesight, but became known as a prudent Spiritual Director in Bologna
1701-1714 Sent as Minister to Ravenna, Brescia and the Noviciate at Novellara.
1714-1724 He was sent as Operarius at the Church in Bologna.
1724-1731 Sent to Scots College Rome as Prefect of Studies
1731-1732 Sent to Spain for health reasons and became Spiritual Director at the Irish College Salamanca. Rector at Irish College Salamanca where he was able to restore some peace in the College after the deposition of John Harrison, not least because he was seen as something of an outsider. he remained in this job for about eighteen months,
1732 He returned to Bologna and ministered in that city until his death while visitng one of the Churches 29/10/1748. His was considered to be an excellent Spiritual Director.
- IE IJA J/705
- 09 August 1865-05 September 1934
Born: 09 August 1865, Rosenallis, Co Laois
Entered: 03 November 1883, Milltown Park, Dublin/Loyola House, Dromore, County Down
Professed: 15 August 1902
Died: 05 September 1934, St Vincent’s Hospital
Part of the St Francis Xavier's, Upper Gardiner Street, Dublin community at the time of death
Early education at St Stanislaus College SJ, Tullabeg
Chaplain in the First World War.
by 1894 at Leuven Belgium (BELG) studying
by 1901 at Sartirana, Merate, Como, Italy (VEN) making Tertianship
by 1917 Military Chaplain : 8th Royal Munster Fusiliers, France
by 1918 Military Chaplain : 7th Leinster Regiment, BEF France
by 1919 Military Chaplain : Chaplain to the Forces, Schveningen, Netherlands
◆ HIB Menologies SJ :
Note from Nicholas Walsh Entry :
He died in the end room of Bannon’s corridor, and the Provincial William Delaney and Minister Joseph Wrafter were with him at the end.”
◆ Jesuits in Ireland : https://www.jesuit.ie/blog/damien-burke/a-sparrow-to-fall/
A sparrow to fall
A BBC Northern Ireland documentary, Voices 16 – Somme (BBC 1 NI on Wednesday 29th June,
9pm) explores the events of 1916 through the testimony of the people who witnessed it and their families. Documentary makers and relatives of Jesuit chaplain Willie Doyle were shown his letters, postcards and personal possessions kept here at the Irish Jesuit Archives. In the 1920s, Alfred O’Rahilly used some of these letters in his biography of Fr Willie Doyle SJ. Afterwards they were given to Willie’s brother, Charles, and were stored for safekeeping in the basement of St Francis Xavier’s church, Lower Gardiner Street, Dublin in 1949. In 2011, they were accessioned into the archives.
Fr Willie Doyle SJ was one of ten Irish Jesuits who served as chaplains at the battle of the Somme (1 July- 18 November 1916): seven with the British forces; three with the Australian. Their letters, diaries and photographs witness their presence to the horror of war.
Fr Joseph Wrafter SJ, 8th Royal Munster Fusiliers (06 July 1916):
It is a very terrible thing where a show is on & no one I know wants any more of it than he has seen if he has been in it at all. But of course all have to see it through & the men are really splendid...Between killed & wounded we lost in that period quite a fourth of our Battalions & the Leinsters nearly as many. But they did good work & the enemy got a good deal more than they gave. It is dreadful to see the way the poor fellows are broken & mangled sometimes out of all recognition.
Jesuits and the influenza, 1918-19
The influenza pandemic that raged worldwide in 1918-19 (misnamed the Spanish flu, as during the First World War, neutral Spain reported on the influenza) killed approximately 100 million people.
The influenza was widely referenced by Irish Jesuit chaplains in the First World War. And Fr Joseph Wrafter SJ writing in December 1918: “the influenza is raging here and all over Holland as everywhere”.
◆ Irish Province News
Irish Province News 9th Year No 4 1934
Father Joseph Wrafter
Father Wrafter died at St. Vincent's Hospital on Wednesday5th September, 1934. For a considerable time he had been in very poor health, even before he left Clongowes in 1932, he had suffered a good deal. He ws an invalid for nearly the two years he spent in Gardiner St., yet, with his usual courage, he did very fully all the work he was allowed to do. At last he was compelled to go to St. Vincent’s, where for some three weeks before his death he was very often quite unconscious.
In next number, we shall give a short sketch of his life in the Society.
Irish Province News 10th Year No 1 1935
Father Joseph Wrafter Continued
Father Wrafter was born near Rosenallis in Leix on the 9th August, 1865. He went with his two elder brothers, William and Thomas, to Tullabeg in 1877, where he remained until
- On November 3rd of that year he entered the Novitiate which was then at Milltown Park, but was transferred the following year to Dromore, Co. Down. He next spent a year
as a Junior in Milltown, and had just begun his Philosophy there, when in November, 1886, the year of the amalgamation (Tullabeg and Clongowes) he was sent to Clongowes. He was Third Line and Gallery Prefect there for three years, and from 1889 to 1891 had charge of the Large Study. In the former of these years he utilised his great histrionic powers in getting up “The Tempest” which was an unqualified success. In 1891 he was appointed Higher Line Prefect although he had not yet done his Philosophy, and was the youngest man on the prefectorial staff. But his strength of character and sense of justice made up for these drawbacks. In 1893, after seven years' work as a scholastic in Clongowes, he went to Louvain for Philosophy, and in 1896 to Milltown Park for Theology, joining the Long Course.
In the early summer of 1899 he went down to Clongowes to stay for about a month, in order to take the place of Father Fegan who had left to undergo a serious operation. However Father Wrafter remained in Clongowes the following year as Prefect of the Small Study, and next year saw him a Tertian in the Province of Venice.
From 1900 to 1903 he was stationed in University College St, Stephen's Green, as Minister. After a year on the Mission Staff, with headquarters at the Crescent, Limerick, he renewed
his connection With Clongowes, this time as Minister, remaining there until 1908, when he went to Gardiner St. and, in addition to the ordinary work, got charge of the Police Sodality. The next year he was appointed Minister and held that position until 1942, with the exception of a break of three years (1916-1919), when he was Military Chaplain in France and Holland. While at the front he distinguished himself by his great coolness and bravery. He was awarded the MC, but an officer who himself won the V.C., said that “every day, Father Wrafter did things that deserved the VC”.
In 1924 he became Minister in Leeson St., and had charge of University Hall. Next year he again took up work in Clongowes as Minister and held the position for ten years. It was during these years that the new building was erected in Clongowes, in which Father Wrafter took a very great interest. 1934 saw him once more in Gardiner St, but incapable of much active work. However, as long as he possibly could, he said Mass and attended to his Confessional to which he had always been most devoted.
He celebrated his Golden jubilee in the Society in November 1933, but did not long survive the event. The malady to which he had long been subject - phlebitis - had poisoned his system and after some weeks in hospital he died on 5th September 1934.
The most remarkable thing about Father Wrafter's life in the Society was his long term of office as Minister in all twenty six years, thirteen in Clongowes, ten in Gardiner Stand ten in the University. He possessed in a high degree the qualities required for that office. He was a fine organiser quickly saw what was wanted, and then had the power to descend to details. He was extremely just and patient and was moreover the very soul of generosity, loving to see and to make others happy. To the poor also he was very kind. Many of the beggars and tramps who came to Clongowes made it a point to ask for Father Wrafter, they almost seemed to be personal friends of his so familiarly did he chat with them.
What struck one most in Father Wrafter was his strong will and his great sense of duty Whatever he took in hand he saw through, and whatever was his duty would be done thoroughly. During his last few years as Minister in Clongowes he suffered from phlebitis which caused his legs to become very much swollen and painful, but unless absolutely forbidden by the doctor, he was sure to go down to the refectory to preside at the boys' meals. He was indefatigable in his care of and kindness to the sick, frequently visiting them in the infirmary during the night. This did not prevent him from being the first to rise in the morning. He always said the 6 o'clock Mass. Indeed it was wonderful how he contrived to do with so little sleep. In his last illness this strength of character was most noticeable, for though he suffered very much he never complained, but always made as little as possible of his sufferings. The nurses who attended him marveled, and were much edified at his patience and resignation.
How much his kindness and help to so many were appreciated was shown by the number of people, many of them in humble circumstances who called at the hospital to enquire for him during his last illness. R.I.P
Stonecutters Union of Ireland, Trades Hall, Capel Street Dublin
- 21 August 1859-24 February 1883
Born 21 August 1859, Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Entered 31 January 1880, Sevenhill Australia - Austriaco-Hungaricae Province (ASR-HUN)
Died 24 February 1883, St Ignatius College, Riverview, Sydney, Australia
Transcribed ASR-HUN to HIB : 1882
◆ HIB Menologies SJ :
Early education at St Patrick’s College, and Melbourne University.
First Australian Jesuit to join HIB
Died at Riverview of a stroke, following a cricket match in which he had played, 24/02/1883. His death had a profound effect on the students, all went to Confession that night and Mass the following day. At the funeral, they walked in procession, three abreast.
◆ David Strong SJ “The Australian Dictionary of Jesuit Biography 1848-2015”, 2nd Edition, Halstead Press, Ultimo NSW, Australia, 2017 - ISBN : 9781925043280
William Wrigley was the first native-born Australian to join the mission of the Irish Jesuits in Australia. He entered at Sevenhill, 31 January 1880. He had previously studied at St Patrick's College, East Melbourne, and gained a BA at The University of Melbourne. As a novice he had some ear trouble, which it was feared might prevent him from being admitted to vows. He was sent to St Ignatius' College, Riverview, and took vows in the chapel at Riverview, 16 June 1882, as the doctor declared that his deafness was gradually decreasing. He soon proved to be a very capable master, a good religious, and, in Joseph Dalton's view, the most useful and efficient of all the Australian Novices.
On Saturday, 24 February 1883, Wrigley bowled for the college XI against an Old Boys' team, and, jubilant at the college victory in one innings, led the race back to refreshments. He vaulted a gate at the southern edge of the field, close to where the infirmary was later built, and fell down on the other side, unconscious. He appeared to be dead, but according to the doctor, did not really die until about 8 pm. The school greatly mourned his loss.
- 1724-19 June 1783
Born 1724, El Puerta de Santa Maria, Cadiz, Spain
Entered 1748, Seville, Spain - Baeticae Province (BAE)
Ordained c 1754,
Died 19 June 1783, Ferrara, Italy - Peruvianae Province (PER)
1751 or 1754 He went to Peru certainly there in 1754 and already ordained.
Procurator in several colleges.
At the time of the expulsion he was acting as Prefect of the Houses of Retreats and the Confraternity of Loreto at Arequipa. He survived a journey, and landed in Italy, where he joined other Spanish exiles. He died at Ferrara in 1783.
- Corporate body
Xavier College is a Catholic school founded in 1878 by the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits).
- 10 May 1925-08 January 1989
Born 10 May 1925, Leeds, Yorkshire, England
Entered 07 September 1942, Roehampton London - Angliae Province (ANG)
Ordained 31 July 1956
Professed 02 February 1960
Died 08 January 1989, London, England - Angliae Province (ANG)
by 1948 came to Tulllabeg (HIB) studying 1947-1950
by 1973 came to work at Veritas Communications Centre in Booterstown (HIB)
- IE IJA J/448
- 21 December 1798-16 January 1896
Born: 21 December 1798, Dublin
Entered: 02 September 1832, Hodder, Stonyhurst, England (ANG)
Ordained: by 1844
Professed: 15 August 1852
Died: 16 January 1896, St Stanislaus College, Tullabeg, County Offaly
by 1839 in Namur studying Physics
by 1852 in Rome studying
by 1854 at Malta College teaching (ANG)
◆ HIB Menologies SJ :
He had two brothers Priests of the Dublin Diocese, William and Henry - Henry was buried in the vaults of the Pro-Cathedral.
He had been a merchant who purchased Belvedere House for the Jesuits before Ent.
He had travelled much during his life, especially in Spain.
He studied in Rome and spent some time in Malta.
He was in the Dublin Residence for a short time.
He was Spiritual Father for long periods in Clongowes and Tullabeg.
Note from John MacDonald Entry :
He was attended there in his last hours by the saintly Charles Young.
Note from Patrick Rickaby Entry :
He also had a wonderful gift of taking care of the sick. This he did at Tullabeg, where he watched over the venerable Charles Young who died in his 98th year.
◆ Royal Irish Academy : Dictionary of Irish Biography, Cambridge University Press online :
Young, Charles (1798–1896), found in Young, Charles (1746–1825)
by C. J. Woods
The youngest brother (son), Charles Young (1798–1896), born 21 December 1798, was educated at Oscott and lived for some years in Spain, becoming proficient in the Spanish language and literature. He assisted in the family business before joining the Society of Jesus (1832); he spent some years as a military chaplain in Malta but returned to Ireland (1840), divided his time between the Jesuit colleges at Tullabeg and Clongowes, and died 16 January 1896 at Tullabeg.
- 15 August 1589-13 July 1664
Born: 15 August 1589, Cashel, County Tipperary
Entered: 13 May 1610, St Andrea, Rome, Italy - Romanae Province (ROM)
Ordained: 1621, Louvain, Belgium
Professed: 14 July 1633
Died: 13 July 1664, Irish College, Rome, Italy - Romanae Province (ROM)
Had studied Rhetoric before Entry then at Douai and Louvain
1655 In Irish College Rome (Fr Ferri being Rector)
1656-1660 Rector Irish College Rome (Bellarmino and Philip Roche are Consultors)
1662 John Young and William St Leger ask and obtain a papal indulgence for 100 Irish Jesuits (Arch Ir Col Rom XXVI 6)
Taught Humanities, Greek was Preacher, Superior, Master of Novices and Tertian Instructor
He wrote “Relationem de Civitate Corcagie et de Civicate Kilkennie” and “Libros Tres Militia Evangelicae” and “Vitam St Patrick Apostoli” and many other books.
His portrait was published in 1793 by William Richardson, Castle St, Leinster Sq, London
◆ Fr Edmund Hogan SJ “Catalogica Chronologica” :
Son of Robert Yong and Beatrice née Sall or Sallan (Sallanus)
Studied Humanities in Flanders before Ent, and then in the Society two years Philosophy and four years Theology.
1624 Sent to Ireland. He knew Latin, Greek, Irish, English, French and some Italian.
He taught Humanities and Greek for eight years; Preacher and Confessor for thirty years; Director of BVM Sodality twenty years; Superior of various Residences eighteen years; Master of Novices at Kilkenny and Galway five years; Consultor of Mission five years; Vice-Superior of Mission one year. (HIB CAT 1650 - ARSI) also Master of Tertians
He devoted himself to the Irish Mission for thirty years, chiefly in Cork, Waterford and Galway. During the persecution, he frequently went to people’s houses disguised as a miller.
He laid the foundation for the Novitiate at Waterford (should be Kilkenny?). He had to move this Novitiate to Galway, on account of the advance of the rebel Parliamentary forces, and was soon compelled to go with his novices to Europe.
He was then made Rector of the Irish College in Rome, and he was in office for eight years, and died in Rome 13 July 1664 aged 75 (Tanners “Confessors SJ”)
Several of his letters are extant and interesting. Several to Fr General dated Kilkenny, 30 January 1647, 30 June 1648, 31 December 1648, 08 February 1649, 22 June 1649 describe the situation relating to the history of this period. Later there are two letters from Galway to Fr General, 20 April 1650 and 14 August 1650 (Oliver, Stonyhurst MSS).
A Writer; A very holy Priest; He took a Vow to observe the Rules.
Mercure Verdier (Irish Mission Visitor reporting in 1649) described him as “a distinguished Preacher, and remarkable for every species of religious virtue”
Father General ordered his portrait to be taken after death and his panegyric to be preached in the Roman College
◆ Fr Francis Finegan SJ :
Son of Robert and Beatrice née Sall
Had made his classical education in Flanders before Ent 13 May 1610 Rome
1612-1617 After First Vows, because of ill health, he was sent to Belgium and Courtray (Kortrijk) for Regency where he taught Greek.
1617-1621 He was then sent for Philosophy at Antwerp and Theology at Louvain where he was Ordained 1621.
1621 Sent to Ireland and Cashel, Clonmel and Kilkenny - to the great regret of Lessius who had wanted him appointed as a Chair in Philosophy - where he devoted himself to teaching young people and giving missions.
For many years he was Superior at the Cork Residence
When the Novitiate opened in Kilkenny he was appointed Novice Master
1646-1647 During the inter-regnum that followed the resignation of Robert Nugent as Mission Superior he acted as Vice-Superior of the Irish Mission
1651-1656 When the invasion of Cromwell resulted in the closure of the Novitiate he went back to Rome, initially as Procurator of the Irish Mission (1651) and then sent as Spiritual Father of the Irish College (1652-1656) as well as Tertian Instructor in Romanae Province (ROM)
1656 Rector of Irish College Rome 24 February 1656 where he remained until he died in Office 13 July 1664
He died with the reputation of a Saint. Wonderful stories were told of the favours he received from God in prayer, and information as to his virtues was gathered in Ireland and forwarded to Rome as if it was intended to prepare his cause for beatification.
- 15 September 1923-08 May 1991
Born 15 September 1923, Shanghai, China
Entered 30 August 1945, Angliae Province (ANG)
Ordained 18 March 1956
Professed 02 February 1963
Died 08 May 1991, Linkou, Taipei, Taiwan - Sinensis Province (CHN)
by 1959 came to Aberdeen Hong Kong (HIB) teaching
- Corporate body
- Corporate body
Vice-Province since 1969. Zambian - Malawian Province of the Society of Jesus, 1992-
- 04 February 1851-17 May 1928
Born 04 February 1851, Beverungen, Westfalen, Germany
Entered 30 September 1869, Friedrichsburg Germany - Germaniae Province (GER)
Professed 15 August 1887
Died 17 May 1928, Dortmund, Westfalen, Germany - Germaniae Province (GER)
by 1885 came to Milltown (HIB) to lecture 1884-1886
- 21 July 1814-16/02/1851
Born 21 July 1814, Bergamo, Lombardy, Italy
Entered 06 September 1840, Chieri Italy - Taurensis Province (TAUR)
Died 16 February 1851, Dublin - Taurensis Province (TAUR)
Part of the St Beuno’s, Wales community at the time of death
◆ Fr Edmund Hogan SJ “Catalogica Chronologica” :
On the dispersion of the TAUR Province in the Revolution of 1848, he was sent to England and lived at St Beuno’s College.
His mind became affected and he was sent to Hartfield House, Drumcondra, Dublin for treatment.
He had a few days clarity and was able to go to Confession and Communion, but a few days later he suffered a hemorrhage, died and is buried at Glasnevin
- 05 November 1839-12 March 1911
Born 05 November 1839, Betra, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
Entered 22 October 1857, Baden-Würtemberg, Germany - Germaniae Province (GER)
Professed 15 August 1876
Died 12 March 1911, Valkenburg, Netherlands - Germaniae Province (GER)
Came to HIB to teach at Clongowes 1877 - 1885
Community Counselling Service Incorporated, Empire State Building, New York, USA