- IE IJA MSSN/ZAM/49
- 8 January-16 December 1964
Part of Irish Jesuit Missions
A file of letters written during the year 1964 relating to the Chikuni Mission, Northern Rhodesia.
- Includes a copy of a letter from Irish Fr Provincial Charles O'Conor SJ, Mungret College, Limerick to the Superior of the Mission, Fr Desmond O'Loghlen SJ, PO Box 218, Choma concerning the possibility of opening a University at Lusaka. Remarks 'Should such a thing happen, I think it could raise a lot of very important considerations for us; and I would very much like to be kept well in the picture as to how things develop.' (5 March 1964, 1p).
- Includes a letter from Fr Desmond O'Loghlen SJ, St. Mary's, PO Box 218, Choma, Northern Rhodesia to Fr Charles O'Conor SJ concerning further news about the University project in Lusaka. Remarks 'So far the project is at the blue-print stage…At a meeting on Education convened by Bishop Corboy, I expressed the hope that we should be able to have some part in the University…However…Bishop Corboy is opposed to any undertaking which will take men from Monze Diocese' (24 March 1964, 2pp).
- Includes a letter from Fr Patrick J. Walsh SJ, Archbishop's House PO Box RW3, Ridgeway, Lusaka to Irish Fr Provincial Charles O'Conor SJ referring to the transition to self-government and independence. Remarks that it is going very smoothly 'One can already see the great difference it makes to have a Government which has the interests of all the people of the country at heart' (6 April 1964, 1p).
- Includes a list of science equipment from Tullabeg for transfer to Chikuni (13 May 1964, 3pp).
- Includes a circular letter from Fr Thomas J Martin SJ, Jesuit Foreign Missions, 20 Upper Gardiner Street, Dublin 1 concerning the death of Fr Daniel Byrne SJ following a car accident (19 May 1964, 2pp).
- Includes a memorandum written by the Superior of the Mission Fr Desmond O'Loghlen SJ, St. Mary's Catholic Church, PO Box 218, Choma, Northern Rhodesia concerning the addition to the residence at St. Ignatius, Lusaka (25 September 1964, 2pp).
- Includes a copy of a memorandum written by the Superior of the Mission Fr Desmond O'Loghlen SJ, concerning the manpower problem in the Chikuni mission (16 October 1964, 3pp).
- Includes a report of the Religious Superiors Association of Zambia (December 1964, 5pp).
O’Conor, Charles, 1906-1981, Jesuit priest