- IE IJA MSSN/ZAM/36
- 1 January-31 December 1951
Part of Irish Jesuit Missions
A file of letters written during the year 1951 relating to the Chikuni Mission, Northern Rhodesia.
- Includes a report on the Lusaka Mission and Fr Visitor's suggestion that the Irish Fathers take over a part of this mission from the Polish Province (nd, 1p).
- Includes a letter from Fr Patrick J Walsh, SJ, Chikuni Mission, PO Chisekesi Siding, Northern Rhodesia to Irish Fr Provincial Thomas Byrne SJ, concerning the starting up of new mission stations. Refers to the division of the Vicariate and remarks '…the Polish Fathers are inclined to be resentful of us….I know there is a great effort being made to ensure that…we shall not get Lusaka.' (30 January 1951, 2pp).
- Includes a memorandum concerning the establishment of a Junior Trade School ([February] 1951, 2pp).
- Includes a letter from Rev. A Chichester, S.J., Vicariate Apostolic of Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia, Campion House, Rhodes Avenue, Salisbury, Southrrn Rhodesia to Irish Fr Provincial enquiring if the Irish Province has plans to open a school for European boys in Northern Rhodesia. A note on the letter remarks 'Nothing doing: will ask Xtian Brothers if he wishes.' (6 October 1951, 2pp).
- Includes a letter from Adam Kozlowiecki, S.J. (Apostolic Administrator), Vicariate Apostolic of Lusaka, PO Box 125 to Irish Fr Provincial stating the urgent need for a school for Catholic European boys in Northern Rhodesia. Includes a rough plan of a suitable site (16 November 1951, 3pp).
- Includes a letter from David Mathew, Apostolic Delegate, PO Box 468, Mombasa to Irish FrProvincial referring to the division of the Vicariate between the Irish and Polish Jesuits (24 November 1951, 3pp).
Walsh, Patrick J, 1911-1975, Jesuit priest and missioner