Showing 5 results

Collection
Advanced search options
Print preview Hierarchy View:

Estate map for the ‘Galway Estate of John Whaley Esq[ui]re’

Estate map for the ‘Galway Estate of John Whaley Esq[ui]re’ which details the land held in Kilcorkey and Lenaboy, Galway. Outlines of 36 sites are marked by black borders and identified with numbers. The main concentration of sites is around Newcastle Road and Shantalla Road to the north, Sea Road and Shell Lane in the centre and Salt Hill to the south. The southern area is bordered by Galway Bay, indicated by the word ‘SAND’ and dots. Man made features include dwellings, roads and filed boundaries. Orientation is given by a compass. Surveyor: Allan MacDonald.

1 Ordnance Survey of Ireland map of Galway, Sheet 105 (1925). Includes key, scale of one inch to a statute mile, coordinates and distance to other towns.

MacDonald, Allan, surveyor and architect

Material relating to the Jesuits in Limerick in the sixteenth to eighteenth centuries

Material relating to the Jesuits in Limerick in the sixteenth to eighteenth centuries. Includes:

  • tracing of a map of Limerick from John Speed’s map of Munster, 1610, reproduced in 'Pacata Hibernia, Dublin', 1810 (21cm x 14cm);
  • tracing of a map entitled ‘Limerick circa 1590, Copy feb 1903. Thos. Westropp’ (22 1/2 cm x 15cm) and
  • tracing entitled ‘Plan of Limerick castle’ (circa 1611), (141/2cm x 24cm). All tracings signed by ‘A. Cox’.

MacErlean, John C, 1870-1950, Jesuit priest, historian and archivist

Small Crane, William Street West, Galway

Sketch maps of plot of ground at ‘Small Crane’, William Street West, Galway. Details location in relation to Galway city and St Ignatius Catholic Church in colour and a more detailed perimeter of plot of land is illustrated. Scale is given. Includes a letter from Ed. Ralph Ryan, Chartered Engineer, 1 Montpellier Terrace, Galway to Fr Pearse O'Higgins SJ, Rector, St Ignatius College, Galway referring to the site map. A note by Fr Tom Scully SJ indicates the total area excluding and including the walls in perches.

O'Higgins, Pearse, 1916-1976, Jesuit priest

‘Map of St. Patrick’s Chapel’, Galway

The area of the map which illustrates the chapel is bordered by a red line: ‘Contents Stat[u]t[e] Measure, 0 a[cres[ 1 r[ood] 6 p[erches]. Written on the rear ‘Plans for original College’. The names of individuals living adjacent to the chapel are given as are main routes: to the north, Ropewalk, Mrs Henry, Mrs Clare; to the south’ Costello’s lane, Mr Patrick Nugent, Johh O’ Shaughnessy, J[oh]n O’ Flaherty; to the west: College road; the east: Mr Forbes. Man made features include dwellings shaded in light blue, ruins, roads and a stable. Orientation is given by a compass. 1 inch to 20 feet. Colour washes on paper.