Showing 180 results

Coláiste Iognáid SJ, 1862-
Advanced search options
Print preview Hierarchy View:

'The Ignatian'

Photocopy of pages of the 'The Ignatian' 1929 - 30; 1979-80'; which contains an article by Fr Liam Greene SJ on the history of Coláiste Iognáid and sketches and photographs of the 'Jes' and the students of the school, circa 1910 - 1918.

Greene, Liam, 1942-2008, Jesuit priest

17th century altar stone

Photocopy of newspaper article from The Irish Times entitled ‘Work on historical Galway shop ordered to stop’ which references an altar stone belonging to the Jesuits during the 17th century which had been smashed by Cromwell.

Irish Times Limited, 1859-

Album to celebrate the centenary of the St Ignatius Church and College

Photographic album mainly related to the events organised in 1963 to celebrate the centenary of the St Ignatius Church and College in Galway. Includes photographs of: Jesuit residences; the President of Ireland, Eamon de Valera with members of the Jesuit community; photocopies of photograph of the Hurling team and Irish Speakers in 1904 taken from ‘The Ignatian’; Fr Patrick O'Kelly SJ; pasted inserts of receipts from 1879 to 1895 for cleaning, stained glass windows of 2 lights and tracery and missal stand; group photograph of the St Ignatius Gaelic Football team of 1935-1936.

Connacht Tribune, newspaper

Altar notices at St Ignatius, Galway

Lined notebooks and journals with handwritten entries for notices to be read out at Sunday Mass at St Ignatius, Galway. Each entry is headed with the relevant Sunday’s Title, such as the ‘Sixteenth Sunday after Pentecost’, the ‘First Sunday of Lent’ etc, or the name of the relevant Feast, ‘Palm Sunday’. Each volume contains announcements in relation to rosaries, benedictions, devotions, novenas, confessions, Mass times, arrangements for Feast Days. There are also announcements in relation to recent deaths in the parish, and requests for prayers for the repose of the souls of those recently deceased and of those whose anniversaries occur. Insert letter, incomplete, in 1912-1914 journal, from an Ursuline nun [Sullivan], and referencing Fr Robert giving a mission in Queenstown (21 August 1862).

2 July 1905 - 12 May 1907;
31 May 1908 - 13 February 1910;
4 August 1912 - 13 December 1914;
20 December 1914 - 16 July 1916;
23 July 1916 - 6 May 1917;
13 May 1917 - 9 February 1919;
16 February 1919 - 2 March 1922;
26 March 1922 - 15 August 1924;
7 September 1924 - 8 January 1928;

Architectural plans for ‘Design for Proposed College of St Ignatius, Galway’

Includes: ‘Design for Proposed College of St Ignatius, Galway’ which details plan for Ground floor,1st Floor Plan, 2nd Floor Plan, Side Elevation and Front Elevation; ‘Design for Proposed College of St Ignatius, Galway’ which details Ground Plan, Plan of First Floor, Plan of Second Floor and Front Elevation; J. J. McCarthy R.H.A Arch[itec]t. Scale: 1 inch to 15 feet. Size: Colour washes on paper.

Attendance registers for guilds associated with, St Ignatius, Galway

Copy book attendance registers, with Fr Peader O'Higgins SJ as master. Includes aspirant names for the Sacred Heart Guild, Blessed Virgin Mary Guild, Mary Immaculate Guild, Realt na Maidne Guild, Mother of Good Counsel Guild, Mother of Christ Guild, Our Lady of the Rosary Guild, Our Lady of the Wayside Guild, Star of the Sea Guild, Our Lady of Lourdes Guild, Mother of Mercy Guild, St Aloysius Guild, Our Lady of the Perpetual Succour Guild, Holy Name of Jesus Guild, St Francis Xavier Guild, St Ignatius Guild, St John Guild, Seat of Wisdom Guild, St Nicholas Guild, St Patrick Guild, Queen of Heaven Guild, Good Shepherd Guild, St Brigid Guild.

Beginnings of the Jesuits in Galway

Information related to the beginnings of the College and Church in Galway and history of persons and events related to the Jesuits in Galway. Written at the time of the centenary celebrations (1963) more than likely by Fr Francis Finegan SJ. Includes list of past pupils who became priests and their present location; details of renovations to the interior of St. Ignatius Church; list of rectors and vice-rectors of St Ignatius, Galway; background to the history of St Ignatius, Galway; details of decorative engraving on walls at the back of Powell’s at Miss Jordan’s bookshop (11 December 1963).

Finegan, Francis J, 1909-2011, Jesuit priest

Building plans for the proposed additions to St Ignatius College, Galway

File of drawings of the building plans for the proposed additions to St Ignatius College, Galway. Includes letter from J. A. Kenny & Partners, Consulting Engineers, Eglington street, Galway returning the drawings to Fr Fergus O'Keeffe SJ (Rector) St Ignatius College, Galway (15 October 1970). The drawings of the ‘new’ community consist of: ground floor plan, first floor plan, top floor plan and elevations. Premises are surrounded by William street to the south and Raleigh row to the north. Plans illustrate new and existing properties: library, rooms, bath, W.C, lavatory, chapel, sanctuary, sacristy, store, cubicle, brother’s recreation room, lobby, corridor and present rooms. Scale is given and directional arrow. Ink and colour washes on paper. Material includes three drawings which give alternative additions to St Ignatius College: first floor plan, top floor plan and ground plan. Orientation and scale is given.

Calendar for Coláiste Iognáid

‘Féilire 1956 – 57’; ‘Féilire 1958 - 59’; Coláiste Iognáid, S.J., Gallimh’. Calendar for Coláiste Iognáid which details the forthcoming events during the year (In Irish).

Centenary of the St Ignatius Church and College, Galway

Documents relating to events organised in 1963 to celebrate the centenary of the St Ignatius Church and College in Galway. Includes programme of events; ‘the Men’s Sodality of Our Lady and The Jesuits in Galway’; menus; concert programmes, messages from Dr Michael Browne, Bishop of Galway, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora and Father General John Janssens SJ; letter from Fr Francis Finegan SJ to Rector, Fr Pearse O'Higgins SJ, St Ignatius College, Galway on a centenary brochure (2 November 1963); list of principal events of contrary celebrations (1963); rough plan of church placings; ‘Ceiliuradh Cead - Bliana Cholaside Iognáid. Deire Fomhir 1963’; ‘Cuirm Ceoil St Ignatius Centenary Celebrations 1863 - 1963 Concert’.

Characters scripts from the play ‘Crossroads’

Characters scripts from the play ‘Crossroads’ performed at St Ignatius College, Galway. Includes characters ‘Marnell’, ‘Carragher’, ‘Duggan’, ‘O’ Cuiv’, ‘Jennings’, ‘McGrath’,‘Whelan’, ‘Flanagan’, ‘MacDonagh’ and ‘Captain Lockard’. Note on front cover, 'Is it by T Sheridan SJ?'.

Coláiste Iognáid Booklet - Deed of Covenant

Leaflet outlining the history and developments of the Jesuits in Galway and of Coláiste Iognáid, with a request and information for parental funding in the form of a direct cash gift or deed of covenant. Includes details of covenant benefits, sketch map of school are and proposed development programme.

Coláiste Iognáid school play

Group photograph of students of Coláiste Iognáid, Galway, on stage during a play. Students are dressed as woman, a gardai, a prisoner and an archbishop - ‘This troupe, having won the Schools Competition in Connaught, went on to win the National Competition in Dublin’. Names are printed on mounted photograph. Includes Peader Feeney, later to become a Jesuit. Taken by photographer, Dowler, Presentation Road, Galway.

Coláiste Iognáid, Galway

The papers of Coláiste Iognáid (St Ignatius’ College) and the Jesuit community offer an insight into the social, cultural and religious life of Galway. There are documents on the history of the Jesuits in Galway, property details such as deeds, leases and plans of property at Sea Road, Renmore, Sherwood Fields and Nuttall’s Garden, and correspondence with various Bishops of Galway and Jesuit Provincials. These documents illustrate major events in Jesuit community life: the return of the Jesuits and the establishment of a residence and school; building developments, ‘Attacked by Beetle: work to save church roof’ (1939); 1963 centenary celebrations and the erection of St Ignatius as a parish (1971). House histories, minister’s journals, visitations, and consults illuminate the ordinary life of members of the Jesuit community in Galway, ‘we have been hit hard again by the “Flu” (25 February 1919).

Roll books, school diaries, college calendars and school publications, such as ‘Turas na Sóisear’, which detail bicycle outings in the Galway area, with hand-drawn maps and route schedule (1940-1947). The arts and sports at Coláiste Iognáid are documented through photographs, scrapbooks and programmes of plays (The Rising of the Moon by Lady Gregory, 1941, for example), debates, theatre and musicals performances, rowing, rugby and GAA. The administration of the Jesuit school, community and Jesuit-run church provides information on: the role of Irish in the school; staffing; past pupils; Penny Dinners; sodalities; altar notices and masses. Financial papers, which consist of church and college accounts, bequests and intentions, also exemplify church activity and functions.

Coláiste Iognáid SJ, 1862-

Coláiste Iognáid, Galway class photograph

Coláiste Iognáid, Galway class group, which includes three girls. Front row, l-r: Liam Greene SJ, Thomas MacMahon SJ, Mr Aidan Ryder, Patrick Tyrrell SJ (Headmaster), Mr Alexander [Eatern] (Deputy Head), Edward Diffely SJ, Padraig Folen and Kevin O'Rourke SJ.

Corrib Rowing and Yachting Club Rule book

Details the history and rules of the club and has photograph of clubhouse on the front and back covers. St Ignatius Rowing Club was located to the right of the Corrib Rowing and Yachting Club and they used to borrow boats in the past.

Council meetings of the Men’s Sodality of the Blessed Virgin Mary, St Ignatius, Galway

  • IE IJA SC/GALW/7/9
  • File
  • 28 September 1890- September 1937; April 1946 - November 1951; 14 May 1961-14 January 1974;
  • Part of Jesuit colleges in Ireland

Minutes of council meetings of the Men’s Sodality of the Blessed Virgin Mary, St Ignatius, Galway. Refers to retreats and retreat directions, details members present and those proposed for membership.

28 September 1890-1 December 1912;
13 December 1912 - September 1937;
April 1946 - November 1951;
14 May 1961-14 January 1974;

Dance in aid of Penny Dinners and postponement

File of letters and copy of letters related to the postponement of the Penny Dinners in Galway at Columban Hall and its eventual re-establishment. Correspondence between Irish Fr Provincial Laurence Kiernan SJ, Fr John MacSheahan SJ, Rector, St Ignatius Church, Galway and Thomas O’Doherty, Bishop of Galway, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora, relating to Bishop O'Doherty’s pastoral letter in which he indirectly refers to the Penny Dinners and the Jesuits, when he condemns dances organised in aid of Penny Dinners by non – Jesuits, ‘I have the strongest possible objection to the means of raising money employed last January…who can control the evils perpetuated in motor cars' (6 April 1926). Includes correspondence between Fr John MacSheahan SJ, Rector, St Ignatius Church, Galway and M. O. Lainn, Clerk, Galway Urban District Council, relating to the re-establishment of Penny Dinners.

MacSheahan, John, 1885-1956, Jesuit priest and chaplain

Domestic arrangements for the Jesuit community in Galway

File of material related to domestic arrangements for the Jesuit community in Galway. Items include: customs regarding the use of intoxicating liquors (May 1959); General Chapter notices which comment on issues in the house such as the lack of punctuality for dinner; ‘Order of Time’ (1969); notice for all visitors; appointment of House Consultors (26 August 1969); how to facilitate the smooth operation of accounts (16 April 1970), domestic arrangements for community and visitors (November 1971); record of Christmas gifts and cards received by the community, church services over Christmas and Christmas Day menu (1968-1971).

Electrical installation in Science room at St Ignatius College, Galway

Copy of contract document, ‘Proposed Science Room, St Ignatius College, Galway: Document E Specification for the electrical installation including Scheduled, Summary and Form of tender’ by J. A Kenny & Partners, Consulting Engineers, Eglington House, Eglington Street, Galway for Fr John Hughes SJ, (Rector), St Ignatius College, Galway. Includes insert of copy of memorandum of agreement between Fr Pearse O'Higgins SJ, (Rector) St Ignatius College, Galway and Patrick Dolan, Electrical Contractor, Shangort, Barna, County Galway (1959) and specifications and general conditions of contract for the ‘Proposed Erection of Science Room at St. Ignatius College, Galway for Very Rev. Fr. John Hughes SJ Rector’ by Patrick Tobin, Consulting Engineer, 22, Eyre square, Galway.

Estate map for the ‘Galway Estate of John Whaley Esq[ui]re’

Estate map for the ‘Galway Estate of John Whaley Esq[ui]re’ which details the land held in Kilcorkey and Lenaboy, Galway. Outlines of 36 sites are marked by black borders and identified with numbers. The main concentration of sites is around Newcastle Road and Shantalla Road to the north, Sea Road and Shell Lane in the centre and Salt Hill to the south. The southern area is bordered by Galway Bay, indicated by the word ‘SAND’ and dots. Man made features include dwellings, roads and filed boundaries. Orientation is given by a compass. Surveyor: Allan MacDonald.

1 Ordnance Survey of Ireland map of Galway, Sheet 105 (1925). Includes key, scale of one inch to a statute mile, coordinates and distance to other towns.

MacDonald, Allan, surveyor and architect

Female students from UCG attend Mass and the Children of Mary Sodality at St Ignatius, Galway

Correspondence between Fr John MacSheahan SJ, Rector, St Ignatius College, Galway and Fr James O’Dea, Dean, University College Galway over concerns of Fr O’Dea, that pressure was applied to female students to attend Mass and attend the Children of Mary Sodality at St Ignatius Church, instead of the university, ultra vires the authority of St Ignatius Church.

MacSheahan, John, 1885-1956, Jesuit priest and chaplain

Historia Domus for St Ignatius, Galway

Lined notebook 'COLL S. IGNATII, HIST. DOM.' (House history for St. Ignatius College, Galway) Historia Domus, with handwritten entries which record important dates in the history of the church, college and community in Galway. At the start, it lists the instructions for the ‘Scriptores Historiae Domus’. Reports on number of confessions for each year, the Men’s Sodality and the Apostleship of Prayer. Lists the members of the community for each academic year and records the arrival of new members and the departure of the old, as well as last vows, illnesses, deaths and funerals. Details building work carried out to the buildings and new sport pitches and includes a photograph of such work in 1939. The renovations to the roof and the boiler are described as are the cost of work done, the craftsmen and architects involved etc. Relevant references are made to weather conditions and current affairs, including the reopening of the school ‘which had been suspended for 3 years (1929), ‘War declared. Invasion of Poland’ (1939), fourth centenary of the Society of Jesus (1941), ‘Around this time, the presence of a strange cat was felt (“perceived is better word”) in various parts of the house... she was caught, but escaped, + continued her evil way’ (1942), Taoiseach broadcast to the Nation on the conclusion of the War in Europe’ (16 May 1945), ‘Spiddal priest released by Communists’ (7 June 1952). Other entries refer to feast days, special Masses, novenas and processions, as well as to special periods within the Church calendar, such as Lent and Christmas. Provincials’ visitations are also recorded, as are the visits of other important guests. School events, such as the beginning and end of terms, examinations and prize-giving, operettas, theatricals, Féis Cheoil, debates, sports fixtures, excursions etc. also feature in the house history.

Also contains several insertions, some loose and some pasted onto notebook pages including; newspaper cuttings of special ceremonies, debates, school tours, reviews of theatricals, prize days, obituaries for Jesuits such as Fr Edmund Downing SJ, Jesuit educated pupils and past pupils, articles by Jesuits for example, ‘Why is not more Irish spoken?’ by Fr John J. Mac Sheahan SJ., articles of Jesuit interest in Galway, ‘Attacked by Beetle: Work to Save Church Roof’ (1939), ‘Past Pupils’ union for St Ignatius College’ (December 1946); numbers and finances of the Jesuits in Galway from 1862- 1877 (In Latin); leaflets; Lenten lectures & devotions; musical and theatricals programmes such as Concert & Dramatic Entertainment (4 January 1899); ‘The Rale True Doctor’ and ‘The Cuckoo’ (1936), ‘Sinbad the Sailor’ (1945); copy of report in the Galway Pilot of private theatricals at the College of St Ignatius (5 March 1892); copy of excavation plan done by Mr Edwards, Clerk of Works; holograph letter from Fr John MacErlean SJ to Fr Andrew O'Reilly SJ concerning the early history of the Jesuits in Galway (29 March 1947). Includes copy book which contains correspondence and articles in Galway newspapers about Scoil Fursa, a school which educates through Irish (December 1945 - January 1946).

Results 1 to 50 of 180