Showing 1 results

Only top-level descriptions University College Dublin, 1854-
Print preview Hierarchy View:

Catholic University of Ireland and University College, Dublin

  • Fonds
  • 1854-2000

The Catholic University of Ireland was formally inaugurated in 1854 with John H. Newman as rector. The Royal University of Ireland was an examining body only and did not provide tuition. Irish Jesuits ran 'St Patrick's House', as part of the Catholic University, from 1877, at 86 and 87, St. Stephen’s Green. Irish Jesuits decided to establish their own college, St Ignatius College, Dublin, Temple Street, Dublin in 1882. By October 1883, the trustees of the Catholic University of Ireland leased to the Society of Jesus the University buildings of 84 and 85 with gardens, and the two uppermost stories of 86 St. Stephen's Green (including the Aula Maxima and rooms over it) which were given the new name of University College, Dublin. In 1908 the National University of Ireland came into existence. In 1909 the Jesuit community left St Stephen’s Green for a new residence at 35 Lower Leeson Street.

Papers of the Catholic University (1854), the Royal University of Ireland (1883 - 1908) called University College Dublin and the National University of Ireland (1908), St. Stephen’s Green.

Irish Vice-Province of the Society of Jesus, 1830-