- IE IJA MSSN/ZAM/38
- 2 January-29 December 1953
Part of Irish Jesuit Missions
A file of letters written during the year 1953 relating to the Chikuni Mission, Northern Rhodesia.
- Includes a letter from David Mathews, Archbishop of Apamea, Apostolic Delegate, PO Box 468, Mombasa to Irish Fr Provincial Thomas Byrne SJ concerning his meeting with Fr General regarding the nomination of the Vicar Apostolic of Lusaka. Remarks that Fr General is anxious that the new Bishop, when named, would open a preparatory school for European boys in Lusaka (20 February 1953, 1p).
- Includes a letter from Fr Patrick J. Walsh SJ, PO Box 125, Lusaka, Northern Rhodesia to Irish Fr Provincial informing him that the residence at the Regiment Church has been completed (6 March 1953, 2pp).
- Includes a statement of the Chikuni Mission statistics for the year ending 30 June 1953 (June 1953, 1p).
- Includes a copy of a letter from the Educational Secretary-General to the Northern Rhodesia Catholic Missions, PO Box 29, Lusaka, Northern Rhodesia to the [Archbishop] concerning the Catholic Teacher Training College proposal (5 September 1953, 3pp).
- Includes a document relating to a survey on leprosy in Northern Rhodesia made in 1950 (10 December 1953, 11pp).
Mathew, David, 1902-1975, Roman Catholic Bishop of the Forces and historian