Rathfarnham Castle



Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Rathfarnham Castle

Rathfarnham Castle

Equivalent terms

Rathfarnham Castle

  • UF Caisleán Ráth Fearnáin

Associated terms

Rathfarnham Castle

10 Name results for Rathfarnham Castle

10 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Carbery, John J, 1897-1918, Jesuit scholastic

  • IE IJA J/1009
  • Person
  • 13 April 1897-17 January 1918

Born: 13 April 1897, Rathculiheen, County Waterford
Entered: 31 August 1914, St Stanislaus College, Tullabeg, County Offaly (HIB for Siculae Province - SIC)
Died: 17 January 1918, Beechgrove, Drogheda, County Louth

Part of the Rathfarnham Castle, Dublin community at the time of death.

Early education at Clongowes Wood College SJ

◆ HIB Menologies SJ :
Eldest son of Mr J A Carbery, District Inspector, RIC Drogheda.
He obtained Exhibitions at the Christian Brothers School, Drogheda, and at Clongowes. He won the medal in Science at Middle and Senior Grade.

It was while moving from Tullabeg to Rathfarnham that he got a chill while cycling. He spent some time in St Vincent’s, Dublin, but was then removed to his parents residence in Drogheda about four weeks before his death. He died at Beechgrove, Drogheda 17 January 1918, and was buried at his own desire in Glasnevin.

◆ The Clongownian, 1918


John Carbery SJ

We are glad to be able to publish the following affectionate tribute to the memory of Mr Carbery SJ, who died in January, 1918:

John J Carbery was just one year at Clongowes and he was practically without interest in the games. Yet I doubt if there were many boys in the College at the end of 1914 better known or better liked. He had the very best of those qualities which make for admiration and affection, the constituent elements, as he would have said, of popularity. Not merely was he a first-class mathematician and probably one of the best Chemistry pupils Clongowes ever taught, but he had a universality of interest in intellectual things rarely ound in a school boy. He had read widely in English, was more than moderately proficient in three or four languages, and was both practically and theoretically, in Nature study. Indeed he had one of the widest and most curious, as well as one of the soundest, intellects I have ever met. His gaiety and his good nature, more than willing, seeking to confer benefits at whatever self-sacrifice, secured him well-deserved affection. Clongowes loved him and he undeniably loved Clongowes. He left it to join the Jesuits, and to Tullabeg, he carried the same unique, and, therefore, somewhat inscrutable personality. He saw it through more or less alone as the saints did, and religious life had for him, with his delicate health and peculiar originality, more than the usual crosses. When he was leaving Tullabeg last August he undertook a long bicycle ride to see Clongowes once again. On the journey at first he was tired and lifeless, but as he approached Clongowes he was all excitement. He recalled walks between the avenue elms, days on the ice, journeys, pleasant or sad, on the long procession of cars up and down the back avenue. We could only stay an hour or so, yet he re-explored the house, the galleries, the bath, the infirmary, the library, First, Senior, the chapel. Once on the road again excitement and energy had vanished. A few days later he made his annual Retreat and within a fortnight of his Clongowes visit went to his bed, sick to death. A long illness prepared him for a mercifully, yet startingly, sudden death. He was not 21 when he died in his own home amongst his own family. Surely it is for them, for his brothers who have left us so short a time ago, for ourselves, for the unfulfilled promises of the riotous profusion of his spring time that we grieve. He himself is beyond sorrow.


Cush, Peter, 1916-1939, Jesuit scholastic

  • IE IJA J/1154
  • Person
  • 16 December 1916-22 June 1939

Born: 16 December 1916, Pomeroy, County Tyrone
Entered: 07 September 1935, St Mary's, Emo, County Laois
Died: 22 June 1939, Barnageary, Skerries, County Dublin

Part of the Rathfarnham Castle, Dublin community at the time of death

◆ Irish Province News
Irish Province News 14th Year No 4 1939

Mr Peter Cush
1916 Born
1935 Entered Emo, 7th September
1936 Emo. Novice
1937-38 Rathfarnham, Junior

Mr. Peter Cush was drowned at Barnageary, between Balbriggan and Skerries, on Thursday, 22nd of June, 1939. Mr, Cush's death was sad, not only because his robust health and strength gave promise of a long life of useful work in the Society, but also because it occurred on the second day of his Major Villa, a time set apart for rest and relaxation in preparation for the coming year. Mr Cush's companions did all they could to save him, even going into danger themselves, but the unusually high sea that was running made all their efforts useless.

Mr. Cush was born in Pomeroy, Co. Tyrone, in the year 1916. He was educated at the College, Armagh. On the 7th September 1935, he entered the noviceship at Emo. During his noviceship he was conspicuous for his simple and generous piety, and in particular for his devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary. The patent sincerity and generosity of his soul gave promise of a holy and useful life as a Jesuit. He pronounced his Vows on the 8th September, 1937. In Rathfarnharn he settled down to his studies at the University, in which he succeeded very well. He had just finished his second year course in Latin, English and Greek when he met his sudden death. Solemn High Mass was offered for the repose of his soul in Pomeroy, by his uncle, Father Cush , representatives of Rathfarnham Castle assisted at the Mass. Father Provincial, and a great gathering of our Fathers and Scholastics, as well as Carmelite Scholastics who were Mr. Cush's colleagues in the University attended the Mass in the Ignatian Chapel, Gardiner Street. The following appeared in the papers :
“The parents and brothers of the late Mr. Cush, S,.J., of Rathfarnham Castle, Dublin, wish to return sincere thanks to all those who sympathised with them in their recent sorrow, especially to those students who risked their lives to save him, and to the Jesuit Fathers for their kindness.” To those who lived with him, Mr. Cush was always associated with child-like simplicity and great innocence, and the fun and laughter that went with them. His death has taken from the Society one who, without doubt, would have been eminent for his apostolic zeal, and from his own community a cheerful, engaging and lovable companion. R.I.P. (J. KELLY, S.J.)

Donnellan, Thomas D, 1919-2002, Jesuit scholastic

  • IE IJA J/594
  • Person
  • 26 April 1919-16 April 2002

Born: 26 April 1919, Saint Alphonsus Terrace, Limerick City, County Limerick
Entered: 07 September 1936, St Mary's, Emo, County Laois
Died: 16 April 2002, Cherryfield Lodge, Dublin

Part of the Manresa, Dollymount, Dublin community at the time of death

◆ Interfuse

Interfuse No 112 : Special Edition 2002


Mr Thomas (Tom) Donnellan (1919-2002)

26th April 1919: Born in Limerick
Early education in St. Philomena's, Limerick and Crescent College, Limerick.
7th Sept. 1936: Entered the Society at Emo
8th Sept. 1938: First Vows at Emo
1938 - 1941: Rathfarnham - Studying Arts at UCD
1941 - 1943: Receiving psychiatric treatment at “Health Centres”.
1943 - 1973: St. Ita's Psychiatric Hospital, Portrane
1973 - 2002: Manresa House - Sacristan, Ministered in the community
16th April 2002: Died at Cherryfield Lodge, Dublin

Tom was hospitalised recently in St. Vincent's Hospital for three months and had his left leg amputated. His heart remained weak, as it had been for the last few years. He was discharged to Cherryfield Lodge on 4th April, and died there, peacefully, on 16 April, 2002.

Paul Andrews writes....
Even as Jesuits go, Tom had an extraordinary story. He had deep and affectionate roots in Limerick where he came second in a family of four, of the strong Donnellan clan. Unusually the two boys outlived the two girls, now only Frank is left. Tom spent three years with the FCJs, and ten with the Jesuits in the Crescent. He was bright, led his class all the way, was looked up to as a star athlete, loved life. When he left school in 1936 it was not rare for such a boy to choose the Jesuits. He went to Emo for two years noviciate, then to Rathfarnham to start a degree in UCD.

Here is the sobering bit for us Jesuits. At the end of his long retreat Tom had offered God the unconditional service of his liberty, his mind and understanding. God heard him in a way he would never have wished. He had what was then called a broken head. His contemporaries noticed that he was skipping Sunday walks in order to study more at home. At the age of 21 Tom had a major breakdown, and for many years lost the use of his fine mind and understanding. The hardest loss of all was of his liberty, and for thirty years.

It was before the days of psychotropic drugs and there was little that medicine could do except contain him. A doctor remarked recently that if Tom fell sick that way today, he would be out of hospital after three weeks. But Tom was behind walls for more than a third of his life, while he grew from his splendid youth to middle age.

When his sister Maureen, then married in the USA, visited St Ita's Hospital in 1972, she found her little brother grey-haired, with a wispy beard, in heavy institutional clothes, but with his mind now functioning, with the help of new drugs. In some distress she wrote to Cecil McGarry, then Provincial, who replied with a compassionate letter, and sent out Joe Dargan (Rector of Manresa) and Paddy Meagher (then Socius) to visit Tom in Portrane. Paddy remembers how interested Tom was in the Province, and knew about several moves of his friends.

Maureen was the one who instigated his move back to a Jesuit house. The change was done gradually and carefully, and was slowed down not by any sickness of Tom but by habits born of long institutionalisation. He came to Manresa, which was both a retreat house and, at that time, a novitiate. Where the community treated him with some caution, unsure how to respond, it was the novices who did most to bring Tom back into the human race, treating him in a matter-of-fact but supportive way.

At the age of fifty-four he began to resume control of his own life. Asked about returning to Jesuit living he had said, “I would like to try preaching. My degree was in Latin so perhaps I could teach that”. But he never resumed formal studies, nor prepared for ordination; nor did he receive final vows, though the application went to Rome - the officials there did not want to canonise the role of perpetual scholastic. He loved the service of the altar, preparing the chapel and reading at Mass. He was invited to work in the grounds, but resisted, probably because that had been his staple occupation in Portrane.

He gradually took over other work around the house, and developed a rhythm of healthy habits: walking, collecting his Pension from the GPO on a Friday, sea swimming in all seasons), and nostalgic holidays in Limerick and Kilkee with his brother Frank. He was the proud holder of one record, not mentioned in the Guinness book: among all the Jesuits worldwide, Tom was the senior scholastic.

When we think about the Tom we have known, one grace is remarkable. While he was a quiet, unobtrusive man, he had also an innate dignity, which drew deep reverence and affection from those he met. He never complained, in any of his sicknesses, even at the end when failing circulation led to the amputation of his left leg. There was an interior life there at which we can barely guess. As we grow older, we talk about the difficulty of no longer being able to achieve anything, or to work. Spiritual writers tell us we have to be content just to be rather than do; and in our declining years that can seem hard. It is sobering to realise that Tom, a handsome, athletic man of great ability , faced that for most of his life.

Yet he seemed a happy man. He was conscious of being liked. When in the last month, his illness grew more acute and he was admitted to St. Vincent's Hospital, he told them there, in a wry, self-mocking way: In Cherryfield I am the pet. In Manresa, too, we missed him when he was away: not for his work- though it was reliable and invaluable; not for his talk - he would sit happily through a buzzing conversation without uttering a word, though he relished good stories. What we missed was his presence, a gentle, undemanding man with a unique history and a wonderful smile.

He was happy also in his going. The Cherryfield nurses tended him with a care and affection that brought tears to the eyes of his brother Frank, when he recalled it at the funeral lunch in Manresa. On the last evening, three of his community, together with Eddy Fitzgerald, anointed him slowly and lovingly, Tom opened his eyes and took it in. Less than thirty minutes later he had gone to God.

There are times, when the sun is shining and life is sweet, that we may worry that our Lord will say to us at the pearly gates: You have had your reward. There is no such fear in Tom Donnellan; he has had his suffering. His rewards, at least to human eyes, have been few. May God be as good to him as he was to God.

Fay, Henry J, 1912-1939, Jesuit scholastic

  • IE IJA J/1277
  • Person
  • 14 January 1912-20 September 1939

Born: 14 January 1912, Ranelagh, Dublin
Entered: 03 September 1930, St Mary's, Emo, County Laois
Died: 20 September 1939, Milltown Park, Dublin

Early education at Clongowes Wood College SJ

◆ Companions in Mission - Zambia-Malawi (ZAM) Obituaries :
Note from Gerald (Gerry) Brangan Entry
Gerald had difficulties with the study of humanities even though he was intelligent and endowed with excellent judgment and much common sense. So it was with some relief that he moved on to Tullabeg for philosophy. His years at Tullabeg were happy ones. He was encouraged and guided in his study of philosophy by his former school friend Henry Fay, himself a very talented and kind scholastic.

◆ Fr Francis Finegan : Admissions 1859-1948 - Clongowes student. Died in Theology

◆ Irish Province News
Irish Province News 15th Year No 1 1940

Milltown Park :
On September 20th, Mr. Harry Fay died in St. Vincent’s Hospital. He had spent two years in Milltown although during his first year he had not followed lectures as he was even then suffering from heart trouble. Although frail in health, his vigour, even brilliance, of mind and his remarkable power of friendship made him more than ordinarily popular. We will miss him, but Heaven has the first claim on us all. RIP

Obituary :
Mr Henry Fay

1912 Born in Dublin, 14th January
1919-22 Catholic University School
1922-26 Belvedere College
1926 30 Clongowes
1930-32 Emo Park - Novice
1932-34 Rathfarnham - Juniorate
1934-37 Tullabeg - Philosophy
1937 38 Belvedere - Irish Monthly
1938-39 Milltown Park - Theology

When Harry Fay was struck down when only a Junior by a disease which wrecked his physique and promised to carry him off in as short time, many must have felt that here was a tragedy, the tragedy of promise that could never be fulfilled. But when Harry Fay died, those who knew him wondered more at all that he had done in his short days than at all might he have done. It is a trite phase to use of the young dead “consummatus in brevi tempora multa explevit - but of Harry Fay it was fully true. Scarcely ever can there have been a young man in the Province. or even in the Society, who had spent such full days and whose death affected so many. He was an invalid for most of his life with us. Deprived of the joy of games, walks, boats - things he loved - and confined very much to the house and to his room. Yet he was never outside the life of the house, never a hermit. Rather did the number of his friends seem to grow, until everyone was his particular friend, and a stranger to the house would be told “You must meet Harry Fay”, as if to know him were to give your allegiance. And to know him was to give your allegiance for he was that rare soul, one whose nature has been perfected and completed by religious life. He was a natural Jesuit, as it were, and his formal commission to the company seemed merely a recognition of that.
Harry Fay had a genius for friendship. Why had he such a capacity? How did he use the gift? When we answer these questions we shall find ourselves explaining his wide influence
on others. Rich gifts of character, temperament and mind combined in him in a rare balance - there were few men of nicer balance among us. He radiated sincerity. There no pose, no polite affectation, of interest, no selfishness to mar the genuine love of his fellows, to obstruct his keen desire to help them, or to raise barriers between him and others. The idlest observer keen that in every community where he lived he was the resort of all lame dogs. They came to him for consolation in depression, for assistance in their work, often enough for confirmation in their purpose in life. No claim for help was denied, to everyone in need he gave liberally of his time, his energy and his advice. It was often humorously said that no spiritual father was more consulted than he. lt is quite true that no spiritual father could have been more sincerely interested or more anxious to help. His own health, which would have depressed the spirits of a less valiant man, never interfered with his unobtrusive charity. He had the great gift of doing things for you as if he really liked you which is we think the real virtue of love. All who genuinely want to help others and who are willing to be inconvenienced and disappointed in the process will gain respect, not all will be taken into confidence completely conquered. Harry Fay made complete conquests. His power of sympathy was great, his mind keen and his balance superb. He had no touch of small-mindedness. His horizon was broad, it stretched out to Heaven and he strove always to see things in the clear light of heaven and to keep true proportion. How he succeeded his friends will know and all can judge from the admirable life he led when death was always near. His patience under suffering was new or that conscious patience which often irritates, it was an apparently careless patience that provoked astonishment. He seemed scarcely to advert to his suffering and there were times when one had to say to oneself - he is sulfuring - lest one should forget. In all his worst bouts of illness and in his last fatal illness one van scarcely recall a moment when cheerfulness lapsed or the invalid manner appeared.
Harry Fay was not alone a young imam of the richest character with extraordinary depths of holiness, he was also of the first order of intelligence.
The most superficial acquaintance with him was enough to show that he was talented, he had power of concentration, desire to know - he had intellect. Where others acquired
philosophy, Harry Fay was a philosopher. He had the “mens naturaliter” philosopher and he was mature in this that his life was informed by his philosophy - for him it was not a sterile discipline of the mind but a manner of living, of giving that reasonable service that God asked of him in his vocation.
It is no one's to search the secrets between God and his fellow. So it will suffice to say that we think that Harry Fay was very much a chosen soul and among chosen souls rare. The beautiful blend of nature and grace made him attractive, made him one to admire to love and if possible to imitate. Ignatius, the Captain of Our Company, is surrounded in heaven by a noble body, but surely marshalled there with the boy Saints, Aloysius, Berchmans, Stanislaus stands a new arrival - who loved the Society dearly, so dearly that he read and reread her early history so that he might know what hind of man Ignatius wished the Kings men to be, who shared with Stanislaus the frank sincere love of his fellows, with Aloysius his gallantry in every trial his spirit of sacrifice, his knightly bearing, with Berchmans his care of little things, his tender love of Our Lady, and surely the company triumphant saluted in their heavenly ranks as another worthy of their steel took his place.

◆ The Belvederian, Dublin, 1940


Harry Fay SJ

Though Harry Fay was only with us for four years, from 1912, it was as a junior boy, yet we felt a closer connection than that might warrant, for were not all the Fays Belvederians? When he left School, where he had been one of the leaders of a brilliant intellectual group, Harry decided to be a Jesuit. The decision must have been a hard one, for it was clear to all that Harry was destined to a distinguished career. He was already “a charmer” in the exact opposite way to that in which the word is usually used. His charm consisted in a sincere and courageous mind, naturally active, disciplined and alive to beauty. He would infallibly gather round him a wide circle of friends, even disciples. The fact that spiritual beauty and knowledge meant more to him than anything else insured that his friends should be an élite, that his influence would be, through them, lasting and widespread. This God gave him almost, one might say, in return for what He took. For quite early in Harry's religious life it was clear he would never enjoy normal health. As his strength ebbed and his resistance deteriorated, he must often have wondered would he live to the priesthood. Actually he died in Milltown Park when only a fraction of his theological studies were over. But to that great disappointment he bowed with the same cheerfulness and resignation as he always met pain and disillusionment. He returned to us a little while ago to work on the Staff of the Irish Monthly, and though the effort proved beyond him, we can record how hard he strove and how earnestly he desired to do whatever was within his power. His death at the early age of twenty-eight robbed many of a much-loved friend, and many more of a wise, a sympathetic and a holy counsellor.

◆ The Clongownian, 1940


Father Harry Fay SJ

Few who have passed through Clongowes have had such gifts of intellect and character as those which Harry Fay possessed. In his four years here he did brilliantly at his studies besides taking a prominent part in Line and House activities.

What his contemporaries will recall most of all was his extraordinary unselfishness, and his evident sincerity. These two qualities, combined with a rare power of sympathy, were to make many friends for him both here in Clongowes and afterwards in the Society of Jesus. His genius for friendship - and it certainly was genius - undoubtedly had its foundation in his capacity for unselfish interest in others. He was genuinely delighted to help others and this help was always free from the slightest suspicion of patronage or condescension. In Clongowes too his complete freedom from any pettiness of mind was remarkable, indeed, if anything really exasperated him at school, it was any exhibition of pettiness either on the part of a master or a boy.

His sincerity was also manifest in his piety which was so much part of him that it had none of that self-conscious affectation which irritates. This meant that he was able to do much good because he used the most effective means - example.

It was but natural - considering his name - that he should be very interested in art, literature (especially drama) and music. In these respects he had an advantage over his fellows, for from his earliest childhood he had been familiar with all that was best in music, and when he grew older he was to learn of the work his uncles, Willy and Frank, did for the theatre in Ireland. Throughout his life he had a great interest in and understanding of these subjects.

When in 1930 he entered the Society of Jesus one would have prophesied for him a distinguished career as a writer, professor or spiritual director but God had chosen a different path for him. He had barely completed his noviceship when he was struck down by the disease which was to bring him to his grave in the middle of his twenty-ninth year. For the next six years he was to call forth the admiration of all who met him by the cheerful and patient manner in which he bore the cross of his suffering. As usual he was completely unconscious of any heroism on his part, but we have only to consider that before he died he was to have to relinquish one by one his interests and ambitions in order to under stand what a series of sacrifices his illness entailed.

He had a first-class intellect and a lively interest in studies but he had to abandon all thought of going to the University. In his ecclesiastical studies he was making brilliant progress, but here again he had to give up all hope of doing them as thoroughly as he would have wished..

He was naturally very lively and active, yet for six years he had to give up all exercise. Also he was anxious to be able to work for and to take part in external activity for the salvation of souls - for was not that part of his vocation - and here he was an invalid for whom there could be no question of doing such work.

Yet despite these hardships and handicaps, the amount of work Harry did before he died was truly amazing, so much so that it was no wonder that, when people considered the depths of holiness which his six years of suffer ing had so clearly revealed as well as the good which he had done, they should say of him consummates in brevi explevit tempora multa, for it was literally true of Harry.

To his mother and father and his brother we extend our sincere sympathy on their sad loss. May he rest in peace.

Hegarty, Michael, 1904-1930, Jesuit scholastic

  • IE IJA J/333
  • Person
  • 22 April 1904-21 August 1930

Born: 22 April 1904, Schull, County Cork
Entered: 09 January 1926, St Stanislaus College, Tullabeg, County Offaly
Died: 21 August 1930, Rathfarnham Castle, Dublin

Part of Heythrop College community, Chipping Norton, Oxon, England at time of his death.

by 1929 at Heythrop, Oxfordshire (ANG) studying

◆ Irish Province News

Irish Province News 6th Year No 1 1931
Obituary :

Mr Michael Hegarty

The tragic death of Michael Hegarty on 21 Aug. caused great sorrow to the whole Province, He had just returned from philosophy at Heythrop and was staying at Rathfarnham when he fell ill, We realise now that we look back on his sickness, that it was caused by the extreme thoroughness of his character and the intense fervour of his life, Four and a half years amongst us found him ripe for heaven.

The earnestness which he showed in God's service was natural to him, It showed itself all through his life. When he entered Knockbeg College Carlow, in 1919, he set to work resolutely. At the end of two years he left, gaining the distinction of second place in Senior Grade in Irish. As yet he had no idea of entering religion. In 1924 he took his degree in Civil Engineering, but made no use of it, as in September of the same year he went to Dublin and obtained a position in the Civil Service. A little than a year later, as a member of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul, he made a retreat at Milltown Park. The following January he entered Tullabeg.
In the noviceship his fervour made him revered. Novices used to watch him after Holy Communion, as indeed people in the world had watched him when he was in the world. When he left the noviceship he never mitigated his fervour. His loyalty and courage won admiration everywhere, and, as a tribute of respect for him, the Philosophers of Heythrop, after his death, sent a generous Spiritual Bouquet to his parents.
The Province has lost a gifted and fervent member, His enthusiasm in God's service made him give himself no rest.He once remarked, when urged to take things more quietly “Better one fervent year in God's service than ten negligent ones.” He has now received from God the reward of his zeal.
Mr Hegarty was born in Schull, Co. Cork, 22 April, 1904, entered the noviceship 9 Jan. 1926, died in Dublin 21 August 1930. RIP
The following is from a letter from Mr Vavasour (Bid. Phil., Heythrop) :
to Fr. Provincial : “At the suggestion of my superior I enclose a copy of the suffrages which have been offered by the philosophers here for the repose of the soul of Mr O'Hegarty, and for the consolation of his parents. (Masses 289, Communions 263, Rosaries 256, Other Devotions 1046).
I need hardly mention the high esteem in which he was universally held by all in this community, and we extend to you our deepest sympathy in the great loss your province has sustained in his death.”
The Office and High Mass for the repose of Mr Hegarty’s soul took place in our Church, Upper Gardiner St.

Hyland, James, 1899-1930, Jesuit scholastic

  • IE IJA J/1469
  • Person
  • 16 January 1899-18 June 1930

Born 16 January 1899, Keelogues Old, Ballyvary, County Mayo
Entered: 21 January 1919, St Stanislaus College, Tullabeg, County Offaly
Died: 18 June 1930, Crescent College, Limerick

1921-1924 Rathfarnham - studying for BSc at UCD
1924-1926 Milltown Park - studying Philosophy
1926-1927 Clongowes - Regency
1927-1928 Crescent - Regency

◆ Irish Province News

Irish Province News 5th Year No 4 1930
Sacred Heart College Limerick :
Sad events :
June 18. This morning, the first of the holidays, our scholastic, Mr J Hyland, was found dead in his bed. Not receiving an answer to repeated knocks at the door, the houseman entered the room, and found the corpse lying on the bed.
June 19. In the evening the remains of Mr Hyland were brought down to the Church. The Community formed the procession, The Church was filled with sympathisers, Solemnity was added by the playing of the Dead March by our Church organist.
June 20. Solemn obsequies for the repose of Mr Hyland’s soul, followed by funeral to Mungret College cemetery. Fr. Provincial presided at Mass, and officiated at the graveside. The old boys of the College insisted on carrying the coffin.
Two deaths - one of the youngest member of the Community, the other of its oldest, well within a month, were a severe trial for the Crescent Fathers. It was a consolation to them during the rather sad time they passed through, to note the very wide and very sincere respect with which the Society is regarded in Limerick. At a full meeting of the Sodality BVM,
on the evening of Fr. Kelly's burial, the Rector thanked the public for the remarkable sympathy shown to the Community of the deaths of Mr Hyland and Fr. John Kelly.

Irish Province News 5th Year No 4 1930
Obituary :
Mr James Hyland
We owe the following to the kindness of Fr McCurtin, Mr Hyland’s Rector :
Mr Hyland died suddenly at Sacred Heart College, Limerick, about 6.30 on the morning of June 18th, 1930. The house-man had knocked at the door of his room a couple of times. Fearing that Mr Hyland would be late, at 8.15 he entered the room to find the corpse lying back on the bed, with the legs protruding over the side. The poor young man evidently started to rise at once his alarm went. He was to have served an early Mass, and then to have taken the acolytes on a picnic to Galway. The doctor, who was with us immediately, pronounced that Mr Hyland had died about two hours previously, of heart failure. The Coroner was summoned at once. He and the doctor decided that there was no need for an inquest.
Mr Hyland had been swimming and cycling the afternoon before his death. He had attended the College distribution of prizes in the evening, and, later still, had been to the procurator's room to get money for the excursion to Galway next day. As far as is known there was no warning that his heart was weak. In fact, he had said a few days before that he felt in very good form. The only illness he had during his time at the Crescent was an obstinate carbuncle on the back of his neck. For this he had been carefully treated, and was sent on holiday to Galway at Christmas, 1929, and again at Easter 1930.
A remarkable tribute was paid to Mr Hyland, and, indeed, to the Society, on the occasion of the obsequies. The clergy, both secular and regular, were present in great numbers at the High Mass in our Church. The Church was quite filled with sympathisers. Public bodies, such as the Limerick Corporation and the Labour Organization, sent in notes of condolence. The latter body also postponed an important public meeting out of sympathy with the Community. The boys of the College, whose vacation began the evening before Mr Hyland's death, were all present at,the Mass and the funeral, wearing the school colours draped in black. Fr. Provincial very kindly came from Dublin for the obsequies, and officiated at the graveside in the Mungret College cemetery. Mr Hyland’s aged mother, his brother and brother-in-law, were present during the last rites. One could not but sympathise with them in their great grief, and in the tragic frustration of their hopes to see him a priest.
Mr Hyland was horn at Ballyvary, Go. Mayo, 6 Jan. 1899. He spent a few years in the Apostolic School, Mungret, and entered the Society in 1919. After noviceship at Tullabeg, he did his juniorate at Rathfarnham, and secured the B. Sc. degree of the National University. Philosophy followed at Milltown, after which he spent one year at Clongowes, and then joined the Crescent College staff as Science Master and teacher of Irish. He was a devoted student of the national language, and spoke it fluently. He was also Prefect of the boys, who liked him greatly, and was very successful in his training of the acolytes for church ceremonies. More than once the Bishop of the Diocese praised his work in that respect, as well as his efficiency as Master of Ceremonies - a duty he was always ready to fulfil.
Mr Hyland was a very exact young Religious - punctual at all his duties, end very careful not to omit any religious exercise, He was specially devoted to the Mass, and had the habit of hearing as many Masses as his work would permit. Notwithstanding a shy and retiring disposition, his uprightness and unfailing kindness won for him the respect and even the affection of the boys. They loved to go on cycle rides or picnics with him, and it was touching to see the friendly way in which the little lads gathered round him during recreations. May God give this good young man an eternal rest.

◆ The Mungret Annual, 1931


James Hyland SJ

The sudden death of Rev J Hyland at the Sacred Heart College, Limerick, on June 18th, 1930, came as a shock to the members of his Order, and was a cause of general sorrow in the city of Limerick. During the early part of the recent year, Mr Hyland had not been in good health; but a period of rest in Galway College at Xmas and Easter seemed to have given him renewed vigour. On the day before his death he appeared in excellent health; but on the morning of June 18th he was found dead on his bed. Death was due to heart-failure.

Mr Hyland entered Mungret College, as an Apostolic student in August, 1916. When he had completed his classical course, he entered the Society of Jesus in January, 1919. He made his noviceship at St Stanislaus, Tullamore, Offaly, and then went to Rathfarnham Castle, Co. Dublin for his University studies. His intellectual bent was towards Mathematics and Science, and, at the close of his University career he secured the BSc degree. He studied Scholastic Philosophy at Milltown Park, Dublin, after which he was attached for one year to the staff at Clongowes Wood College. From there he was transferred to the Sacred Heart College, Limerick, three years ago, as Prefect of Discipline, teacher of Science and Irish. He was a diligent student of the national language - spoke and wrote it fluently. He was, also, an enthusiast for national games.

Remarkable tributes were paid to the deceased young Jesuit, not only by the number of clergy in attendance at the obsequies in the Church of the Sacred Heart, by the boys of the College and the laity in general, but several public bodies - such as the Limerick Corporation, the Workers Transport Union, the Limerick Golf Club, and the Committee of Technical Instruction
sent in votes of condolence to the community.

To Mr Hyland's family we offer our very sincere sympathies in their sorrow. RIP

◆ The Crescent : Limerick Jesuit Centenary Record 1859-1959

Bonum Certamen ... A Biographical Index of Former Members of the Limerick Jesuit Commnnity

James Hyland (1899-1919)

A scholastic, was born in Ballyvarry, Co Mayo and was eleven years in the Society. At the time of his unexpected death Mr Hyland had completed the usual Jesuit course (noviceship, university studies, philosophy and regency) preceding theology. He was a native speaker of the Irish language and was instrumental in refounding the Irish Society in the College.

◆ SHC - Sacred Heart College Limerick 1931


James Hyland SJ

At the Sacred Heart College, on June 18 – the first morning of the summer holidays - Mr Hyland was found dead on his bed. He was to have served an early Mass, as he was to have taken the acolytes on their annual excursion. Evidently he had made an effort to rise quickly when his alarm sounded, but fell back and died, according to medical opinion, of heart failure. He had very well on the previous day, and had enjoyed a bathe and a cycle-ride.

Mr Hyland was born at Keelogues Old, near Castlebar, on Jan. 6, 1899. He entered the Apostolic School at Mungret in 1916, and three years later went to the noviceship of the Society of Jesus. Having finished his noviceship he was sent to Rathfarnham for his University studies, and at the close of his period there, he secured the degree of BSc at University College, Dublin. Then followed his philosophical studies at Milltown Park, Dublin, after which he was attached for one year to the teaching staff at Clongowes. He was transferred to the Sacred Heart College, in 1927, where he was Prefect of Discipline, and taught Science and Irish. He was an enthusiastic Gael, keenly interested in the language, which he spoke and wrote fluently, and was a lover of the national games. His Gaelic Club, which he worked most energetically, during the year before his death, gave splendid results in the debate meetings and concerts, which were conducted completely in Irish. He was a fervent religious, preparing carefully for his priesthood years, which he had hoped to spend in China, and had repeately asked his superiors to be allowed to go on the Chinese mission.

Remarkable tributes were paid to his memory, not only by the number of clergy in attendance at the obsequies in the Church of the Sacred Heart, by the boys of the college and the laity in general, but also by several public bodies, such as the Limerick Corporation, the Limerick Trades Council, the Limerick Golf Club, and the Committee of Technical Instruction, who sent votes of condolence to the community of the Sacred Heart College. A thoughtful action by the members of the Limerick Trades Council, in postponing an impor tant public meeting which was to have been held at the O'Connell Monument on the evening of June 18, was very much appreciated.

He was laid to rest in the cemetery of his old school at Mungret. M Kelly, the Captain of the School, placed a beautiful wreath “from the pupils of Rev J Hyland SJ" on the grave. His heart-broken mother - for she longed to see him a priest -was present at his funeral, but she soon followed him to Heaven, as she died a few months ago.

To his brother, sister and other relatives we offer our deepest sympathy in their double bereavement. RIP

Keenoy, William P, 1911-1936, Jesuit scholastic

  • IE IJA J/1506
  • Person
  • 18 January 1911-04 September 1936

Born: 18 January 1911, Portarlington, County Laois
Entered: 06 November 1929, St Stanislaus College, Tullabeg, County Offaly
Died: 04 September 1936, Dublin

Part of the Clongowes Wood College, County Kildare community at the time of death

Early education at St Joseph’s CBS, Portarlington and Mungret College SJ

◆ Irish Province News
Irish Province News 12th Year No 1 1937
Clongowes :
On the evening of Friday, September 4th, came the news of the happy death of one of our new Scholastics, Mr William Keenoy, S.J. His unexpected death came as a great shock to all as he had been operated on successfully for appendicitis on August 1st. On September 3rd peritonitis set in. He died shortly after a second operation. The younger members of the Community are deeply affected by his loss. RIP.

Obituary :
Mr. William Keenoy

We are grateful to Mr. O’Brolchain for the following appreciation :
Those who knew Mr. William Keenoy slightly found him affable and anxious to make friends. Strangers in the house he treated with a frank and winning courtesy. He made them feel at home, and put himself freely at their service. Those who knew him somewhat better were surprised to find in him unexpected reserves , but those who knew him best of all penetrated beyond these to the quick sympathy, and the rare genius for friendship.
His character was unusual in the qualities it combined , the liveliness of a schoolboy with a steadiness quite exceptional, keen interest in games with book-learned skill. A shrewd observer said that he was a Tom Sawyer or a Penrod in real life. He was only a novice then, fresh from school, and it was very true. To the end what is fine in the schoolboy remained with him, but more and more, steadiness and reliability of character rose up behind it. So, too, did he combine intellectual and physical interests. He was a proficient in football, hurling, tennis and handball. He liked to take long walks or long cycle rides when opportunity offered, or to swim long distances. But side by side with this went devotion to the things of the mind. Gifted with intellectual powers well beyond the average, he supplemented them with hard work, work too hard, for he weakened under the strain.
The facts of his life are soon told, He was born in Portarlington on January 18th, 1911, studied at the Christian Brothers school there with considerable brilliance, gaining a scholarship. He spent a few months at Mungret College, and began his Noviceship at Tullabeg, 6th November 1949. His two years in the Noviceship were very well spent. His boyish character matured and deepened, and he developed a steady personal piety - unostentatious and unaggressive. He did not criticise the ways of others or try to draw them to his mind, but neither was he easily drawn by others. In Rathfarnham he settled down to scholastic pursuits as to accustomed toil. His studies included Economics and this gave him an interest in social problems, and thereafter a constant ambition of his was to study such problems and help in their solution. He obtained his degree with distinction, but overstrained in doing so, and from this strain he suffered during all the two years of life that were left to him. In 1934 he began Philosophy in Tullabeg but had to be sent to teach after two years owing to the weakness of his health. By the status of July, 1936, he was sent to Clongowes and was taking up his duties there with all his old cheerful energy when an attack of appendicitis sent him to hospital. On Monday, August 31st, he was operated on. The operation seemed quite successful but then complications most unexpectedly set in. He became delirious. Another operation alas attempted and failed. On Friday, September 4th, he died and was buried in Glasnevin on the following Monday - the day the boys he was to teach returned to school. His death came as a great shock to all who knew him. That he was young made it tragic, that he was such as he was deepened the tragedy. His life had been more full of promise than is usual, exact in religious observance, steady in character, unusual in mental equipment, and possessed of a severely practical mind he seemed destined to do great work for God here, but God took him to do it elsewhere. Those who knew him well are grateful for his friendship. In many ways his life is an inspiration, perhaps most of all in its gaiety in the face of trouble. Unknown, probably to most of his acquaintances, he had many and increasing troubles in his life, but they never soured him, to the last his laughter was merry and frequent. One remembers him smiling his peculiarly attractive smile, and is encouraged to meet trouble with the gaiety with which he met it.

◆ Mungret Annual, 1939

Our Past

William Keenoy SJ

Rev William Keenoy SJ, (1929) died very unexpectedly last August after an operation for appendicitis. His untimely death is very much regretted by the inembers of the Society of Jesus in Ireland no less than by the large circle of friends he made in the school days at Mungret. A native of Portarlington, he received his primary and secondary education at the Chrisitan Brothers Schools. Prior to his entering the Society, he spent some months at Mungret, where, in a very short time he . came to be recognised as a student of great intellectual power.

Having completed his noviceship and taken his vows at St Mary's, Emo, he was sent to Dublin to study at the National University, where he read a brilliant course in Economics and Political Economy. But signs of serious ill-health soon manifested themselves, and after a few years of suffering, borne with edifying patience and resignation, he died a holy and peace fuldeath. May he rest in peace.

Moore, Joseph, 1914-1936, Jesuit scholastic

  • IE IJA J/1759
  • Person
  • 24 September 1914-24 September 1936

Born: 24 September 1914, Banagher, County Offaly
Entered: 30 September 1933, St Mary's, Emo, County Laois
Died: 24 September 1936, Rathfarnham Castle, Dublin

◆ Irish Province News

Irish Province News 12th Year No 1 1937
Obituary :
Mr. Michael Joseph Moore
The following was kindly sent to us by Mr. Moore's old school fellow, Mr. John O'Meara :
On Thursday morning, September 24th, 1930, Mr. Joseph Moore celebrated a double birthday , the second his heavenly one. He was just twenty-two years of age, and had all the appearance of healthy strength. He had great mental vigour, and every thing seemed promising, but he had already matured for heaven.
He was born in Banagher, Offaly, 24th September, 1914. As a boy he was exceptionally studious, and exceptionally pious. He played few games, and even these rather inconsistently and indifferently well. This non-participation in games was no indication of moroseness, still less of softness. It resulted almost entirely from a desire to work hard and attain to the highest qualifications in his studies. If any other motive kept him from the playing fields of St. Joseph's College, Ballinasloe, it was the delight of bantering chat with kindred spirits on questions Irish and democratic. He was an independent and firm character with fixed ideas, though he was always open to persuasion. Those fixed ideas were mainly centred around, and resulted from, a love of his country and its inhabitants, especially the poorer ones. A list of his scholarships would almost appear too statistical for inclusion here. His secondary school course was extremely brilliant.
He entered the novitiate at Emo on September 30th, 1933, and very soon began to show how sterling and fine his character was. He set himself to the correction of any defects which he remarked in himself, or were remarked in him. with positively enjoyable zest. He was always light hearted and not infrequently rocked with uncontrollable laughter.
His career in Rathfarnham was unobtrusive and redolent of the humility and unworldliness which animated him. It was here especially that the more spiritual side of his character was evidenced. He was always cheerful and exemplary and always worked hard. But there was a sense of guilelessness, simplicity or other worldlines about him which should have told us that he was not to remain with us. The fatal disease was mysterious and rapid in its development , and he died in the most edifying sentiments of resignation, peace and devotedness. RIP

Another close friend, Mr. Kent, was good enough to contribute the following :
If I noticed one virtue more than another, unworldliness was the one which he possessed in no small degree. He was other-worldly and this even before he entered our Society. On looking back over the few years that I knew him, his simplicity of manner, his love of poverty and his deep love of Christ and His Blessed Mother only make me realise that the Master was at work on his soul, strengthening it and purifying it, so that in a short time he might reach his full stature in Christ, and answer the call that reached him faintly on the feast of Our Lady of Dolours, but clearly on that of Our Lady of Ransom, September 24th. By those who knew him well he is remembered as a man of high ideals a man of principle and high moral courage, cheerful to a very great degree, a most companionable and edifying brother.
To some it may appear that these appreciations are an outcome of the “de mortuis nil nisi bonoum” principle, and are somewhat coloured by the dictates of a sincere and holy friendship. They are not. All who knew Mr. Moore will recognise in them a true picture of the kind friend and brother who has been taken away from us.

O'Kelly, Michael, 1923-1955, Jesuit scholastic

  • IE IJA J/336
  • Person
  • 06 October 1923-07 September 1955

Born: 06 October 1923, Knocknakilla, Cree, County Clare
Entered: 15 September 1942, St Mary's, Emo, County Laois
Died: 07 September 1955, St Vincent’s Hospital, Dublin

Part of the Milltown Park, Dublin community at the time of death

◆ Irish Province News

Irish Province News 31st Year No 1 1956
Obituary :

Mr Michael O’Kelly
Michael O'Kelly was born at Knocknahyla, Mullagh, Co. Clare, in 1924, and educated at St. Flannan's College, Ennis. At school he showed all round ability; among his academic distinctions, he took 1st place in Irish in the Leaving Certificate, and as a Junior footballer represented his county.
He entered the Society in 1942, did his Juniorate in Rathfarnham and his Philosophy in Tullabeg. There is not much to record of these years. He always kept his deepest thoughts very much to himself. He was an excellent companion; cheerful, amusing, at times facetious with a kind of facetiousness that delights rather than bores. He was fond of banter; and was almost continually at it, yet never gave offence. He was argumentative in a way that did not irritate; it was merely a sign that “O'Kell” was in good humour; a sign, too, of the strength of character that under lay his lightheartedness. Like all strong characters, he was impatient of inefficiency; meticulous in all he set his mind to, he expected to find others the same; but if at times he gave way to exasperation, it was always good humoured. He was full of common sense and moderation. The Irish language movement has lost a desirable apostle in Michael O'Kelly.
In 1950 he went to Galway as teacher and assistant games-master. From the beginning, among the Community and with the boys in the classroom and on the football field he endeared himself to all. In spite of a fine physique he had been constantly ill; he suffered particularly from a leg ailment, the result of an injury at football. In his second year in Galway his knee began to trouble him again. The doctors diagnosed cancer and his leg had to be amputated. After a winter in hospital he returned to Galway in the late spring. Though now on crutches, he went back to work as if nothing had happened and took his full part in Community and school life. In class he used his crutch to point to the blackboard ; from the sideline he refereed matches. His influence over the boys was great; they crowded about him when he appeared and he was often seen playing games with them or taking photographs, balancing himself on his crutches.
He came to Milltown in 1953. Already there were signs that secondary cancer had set in, but he attended all his lectures which meant climbing two flights of stairs. He insisted on doing as much as possible for himself. In May, 1954, he had a set-back. He was taken to St. Vincent's Hospital, from which he was never to return. It was clear from the first that there was little hope for him. He underwent an operation which was successful to the extent of making his last days easier. He made a surprising recovery. Contrary to all expectations he lived on" for a year and a half after the operation, his physique and determination keeping him alive. He had many relapses, though each recovery was less complete than the previous. Nothing would induce him to give up hope. A few weeks before his death he was taken into the hospital grounds and spoke more confidently than ever of leaving hospital. If he did not always believe what he said, he kept his misgivings to himself. În September he felt his mental powers weakening, he was anointed and on the 5th he became unconscious. He died peacefully on the 7th, exactly thirteen years from the day he entered the Society.
During his illness he showed remarkable courage, even more remarkable cheerfulness. He accepted his infirmity with resignation no one ever heard him complain of it. To the end he kept up his interest in all that happened in Milltown, Galway and throughout the Province. Those who came to visit him - and there was always a great stream of visitors - often found that it was they who went away cheered by their visit. He was thirty-one when he died; had he lived he would have been ordained next Summer. To his sister, brother and aunt we offer our deepest sympathy. May he rest in peace.

O'Neill, Ignatius, 1905-1934, Jesuit scholastic

  • IE IJA J/342
  • Person
  • 11 June 1905-01 July 1934

Born: 11 June 1905, Dublin City, County Dublin
Entered: 31 August 1923, St Stanislaus College, Tullabeg, County Offaly
Died: 01 July 1934, St Vincent’s Hospital, Dublin

Part of the St Stanislaus College community, Tullabeg, County Offaly at the time of death.

◆ Irish Province News
Irish Province News 9th Year No 4 1934
Obituary :

Mr Ignatius O’Neill
Mr. M. McCarthy -
On the 2nd July Mr. Ignatius O'Neill died at St. Vincent's Hospital. He had come up from Tullabeg with the intention of undergoing an operation if it were considered necessary by the doctors. Then he was to use the summer vacation to fit himself to begin theology at Milltown in the autumn. In spite of his weak state, and the pain he suffered, the operation appeared successful, but suddenly his heart gave way under the strain. Early on Monday morning he began to sink rapidly, dying about four o’clock that evening.

Mr. O' Neill was born on the 11th June, 1905, and was educated at the O'Connell Schools, Dublin. He entered the Society in 1923 at Tullabeg, studied at Rathfarnham for three years and then, owing to the state of his health, was sent to Belvedere. Here he had to spend two long periods in hospital. He was liked by the boys and the Community, and was very capable at his work. In 1931 he went to philosophy in Tullabeg, where his health seemed to improve. Then, when he had finished the third year, the end came with tragic suddenness.
The illness of which he died had, all his time in the Society , caused him trouble, the extent of which one could not easily guess by just living with him. For this was most characteristic of him that he was always of an even, pleasant temperament. Though living under difficulties which would have upset most, he lived with that unconscious simplicity and courage which does the right thing without having to think very much about what it is, or urge itself in the doing. His religious life was unobtrusive, natural, and deep. One of his superiors said of him that this extended to those simple devotions and observances which can go easily out of a scholastics life under pressure of study or class work, and which are the result of an unaffected piety of mind. The manner in which he bore his ill-health was typical of all this. He finished up his school life in 1923 by winning a triple scholarship, yet at the University he did not do at all as well as this gave one reason to expect. However, he neither complained nor explained. He had done what he could under the disadvantage of health, and he left it at that. In fact he never complained at all of the suffering that was to bring him to an early death. One knew that he was delicate and under the care of doctors, but how much pain or weariness he felt can only be judged from his premature death. No one could estimate it from his own account, for he give no account of it. Nor could anyone estimate it from his behaviour towards others
In community life he was always kind end pleasant, with that kindness of heart which thinks no evil and feels no bitterness.
He died as any one of us would wish to die, in peace in spite of his pain and completely resigned to God's choice. He seemed to be disturbed by the suffering his death would cause his family and not at all by what it meant to himself. “You should be smoking,” he said to his brother, “there are some cigarettes in the drawer.” This incident is typical of all his life - pleasant kindness to others. silence about himself. This was his outstanding characteristic, and for this he is remembered with affection by those who knew him.

◆ James B Stephenson SJ Menologies 1973

Scholastic Ignatius O’Neill 1905-1934
The early and unexpected death of Mr Ignatius O’Neill came as a shock to his Jesuit contemporaries and friends. He was only 29 years of age, and he had managed. in spite of poor health, to go through the ordinary stages of training up to Theology.

An operation was advised, more to improve his health than to avert serious development. As an operation it was successful, but it proved too much for his heart, and he died on July 2nd 1934.

He was always of an even and pleasant temperament, and he went through his years in the Society with an unconscious simplicity and courage, which does the right thing without having to think very much about what it is or the urge itself in the doing. Such a character with such equanimity gave promise of great work for God, by He thought otherwise. “For My Ways are not your ways, nor your thoughts my thoughts”.

◆ The Belvederian, Dublin, 1935


Ignatius O’Neill SJ

Any of our present and not a few of our past will remember Mr O'Neill, who was on the teaching staff, in Belvedere but a few years ago. It is with deep regret that we publish the news of his death, after a brief illness. Educated at O'Connell Schools, Mr O'Neill entered the Society of Jesus in 1923. He spent three years at Rathfarnham Castle, and then joined the Community at Belvedere. His health always gave cause for anxiety, but the cheerful manner in which he endured the difficulties which this brought was a source of great edification to all. At Belvedere he was noted for his gentleness and serenity, and for this will lie be remembered. We offer our sincere sympathy to his family.