- 1818-2010 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
The Irish Province of the Society of Jesus is the local branch of the Society of Jesus, one of the largest religious orders in the Catholic Church, was formed in 1860, having been a Vice-Province from 1830. When Fr Peter Kenney SJ, led the Jesuits back to Ireland in 1814 after the Suppression of the Society (1773-1814) his first action was to open a new school at Clongowes Wood College. In the 19th century and the early part of the 20th century the Order was associated with training Catholics to take on a leadership role in the emerging independent Ireland.
Material collected by Irish Jesuits.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Catalogue available here: https://www.offalyarchives.com/index.php/irish-jesuit-archives
The Jesuits bought Tullabeg in 1818 (dedicated it to St Stanislaus) and opened a preparatory school for boys destined to go to Clongowes Wood College, Kildare. St Stanislaus College gradually developed as an educational rival to its sister school. It merged with Clongowes Wood College in 1886. Tullabeg then became a house of Jesuit formation: novitiate (1888-1930), juniorate (1895-1911), tertianship (1911-1927) and philosophate (1930-1962). In 1962, it was decided that the students of philosophy should be sent abroad for study. Tullabeg subsequently became a retreat house and was closed in May 1991.
The papers of St Stanislaus College include information on a history of the area around Tullabeg, building and property (1912-2004), correspondence with Superiors (1881-1971), finance (1912-1990), documents on Jesuit training (1818-1962), retreat house (1949-1960) and artworks (1940-1991).
Material is in the form of letters, reports, architectural plans, notes, maps and photographs (1902-1990). Programmes for plays include Shrovetide at St. Stanislaus College, Tullamore; ‘The Man with the Iron Mask’, ‘All at Coventry’ and ‘The Smoked Miser’ (1885) and for ‘Caitlín Ní Uallacáin’ and ‘Cox and Box’ and details Jesuits who performed (1925).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
All items retained permanently.
System of arrangement
Material was catalogued in 1999, with some additions in 2004, 2006, and 2013.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
The Irish Jesuit Archives are open only to bona fide researchers. Access by advance appointment. Further details: firstname.lastname@example.org
Conditions governing reproduction
No material may be reproduced without the written permission of the Archivist. Copyright restrictions apply. Photocopying is not available. Digital photography is at the discretion of the Archivist.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Irish Jesuit Archives, 37 Lower Leeson Street, Dublin 2
Existence and location of copies
Clongowes Wood College maintains its own archives. Contact: Clongowes Wood College, Clane, county Kildare.
Related units of description
Byrne, Michael, 'Tullabeg, Rahan Tullamore 1818-1991', Offaly Heritage 2, 2004, pp90-111.
Corcoran, Fr Timothy SJ, 'The Clongowes record, 1814 to 1932: with introductory chapters on Irish Jesuit educators, 1564 to 1813', Dublin: Browne and Nolan, 1932.
Costello, Peter. 'Clongowes Wood: A history of Clongowes Wood College 1814-1989', Dublin: Gill and MacMillan, 1989.
Finegan SJ, Fr Frank, ‘Tullabeg (Rahan) 1818-1968’, Jesuit Year Book, 1969, pp5-24.
Grene, Fr John SJ, ‘A contribution towards a history of the Irish Province of the Society of Jesus, Memorials of the Irish Province, S. J. Centenary Year 1814-1914', parts I & II. Dublin: O'Brien & Ards, 1914.
Laheen, Fr Kevin A SJ,
'The Jesuits in Tullabeg: The Early Years From Mission 1810 to Province 1860', O’Brien Publications, 2007.
'The Jesuits in Tullabeg: A Century of Service 1814-1914', O’Brien Publications 2009.
'The Jesuits at Tullabeg 1817-1991: The Final Curtain 1991', O’Brien Publications, 2010.
Nerney, Fr Denis SJ (ed.), 'Notes on the history of the Tullabeg district'.
'St. Stanislaus' College, Tullabeg, King's County : a college (1818 to 1886); Noviceship and House of Studies (since 1888) of the Irish Province of the Society of Jesus', Society of Jesus, 1910.
Wrafter, Sister Oliver, 'Rahan Look Back', Naas: Leinster Leader, 1989.
Subject access points
Name access points
- St Stanislaus College, Tullabeg, Offaly (Subject)